Is there any way to show blueprint dimensions for objects

For the default cube, is there a way to display blueprint dimensions so that a print can be given to a person to actually build the cube?

i.e. display the typical |<---- 10 ---->| dimension information used on a shop drawing.

Check MeasureIt addon (comes within Blender).

Thank You!

Much appreciated.

I did a lot of blueprint with Blender
and I ended up doing it manually
instead of using other Addon !

depends on which angle of view you have
so faster to do it manually and get a good look

and try not to have very thick letters - text
does not look good in Iso 3D view !

good luck

happy bl

@RickyBlender: I asked this question just to confirm there is a way to do it.

I’m 48 hrs into looking at Blender as a replacement for an antique CAD app (CYCAS) I’ve been using to produce structures for welding projects, design room and building layouts, etc. I’m not ready to actually try to do anything in Blender yet; just viewing videos and reading.

I’m strictly a Linux user. I looked at SketchUp (Windows) and FreeCAD but rejected them for a variety of reasons. So far, every criteria I’ve come up with for a replacement CAD app Blender has satisfied. I just wish it had more than 20 layers and a way to name those layers. I’ve used upwards of 80 layers in some previous projects on CYCAS.

For my needs, Blender is a sledgehammer hitting a tack, but my only alternative is AutoCAD on Windows at a large annual cost.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

well if you can wait a little 2.8 will have unlimited layers = collection

for archi rendering blender is probably very good for material and textures
but lack most of the CAD tools for measuring / show dim things
there is the measure addon but I did not like it
there is another one but still buggy !

so as I said ended up doing it manually instead function of view angle for render !

Blender is very powerful but does require some time to learn

you can always ask questions on forum here to get help

so good luck and have fun
happy bl

Hello, Linux user here as well. I extensively use CAD programs in my line of work, I recently moved from SketchUp (via wine) to blender and never looked back. Though since blender lacks many of the CAD features I do occasionally return to a dedicated 2d application for those shop drawings. If you can spare a few bucks, you might want to try BricsCAD, I’ve been using it since '11 as a drop-in replacement for AutoCAD. It’s way cheaper and has very good Linux support. Commands/features are mostly the same with AutoCAD (it’s basically like a clone) but some features/things are handled much better in BricsCAD.

I’m comparing Blender to what I use now (CYCAS). There’s no color rendering, patterning or texturing. It will dimension ( |<---- 10 —> | ) elements to produce a shop drawing reasonably.

If I want to draw 60" of 1"x1" square tubing in CYCAS, I select a cube primitive and scale it 1"x1"x60". The keystrokes/clicks in the X/Y plane would be -
Click cube primitive
Click Upper Left
Click Lower Right on top of the Upper left then -
Right arrow 1"
Down arrow 1"
Select
Set Z to 60
Select

Takes a few seconds. I see no real way to do this in Blender as it’s lacking the ability to specify dimensions easily.

In CYCAS, to copy that element, 3’ to the right (X) I would -
Click Edit
Click Copy
Click the element (square tubing)
Click OK to terminate the copy source.
Click one corner of the source.

36 or 3’
Select

Again a few seconds. So far I just don’t see how Blender can do this.

Maybe you can enlighten me.

I’ll check out BricsCAD.

there is this BricCAD
I did not check that one but it is paid I think
and I think there is another one too
and they have some dim tools like CAD

in blender when you add a simple primitive like a cube sphere ect.
there is a panel on the left where you can set the parameters - Dim segments ect.

big difference is that in blender you are working with mesh topo
not like in CAD with curves and Nurb surfaces!
so you need to select the number of segment you want or need in advance based on experience.

and blender does not really have parametric objects
ounce done you cannot modify the parameters
has to be done manually !

need some getting use to but it is part of the learning process!

happy bl

In blender, one way to do this would be Shift-A > Mesh > Cube. Then expose the properties region via N key. Under Transform header there’s a label named dimensions. Enter values for X,Y and Z axis.

To copy along X axis for example, Shift-D; X (locks the transformations to this axis); Value along X, Shift-R to repeat operations n number of times.

All those could be done pretty much quickly and you can even do all that with the keyboard alone if you’re into shortcuts and commands (as I think you are, coming from a CAD background). You have to invest a bit of time learning, and you pick up a few things here and there improving your workflow as you go.

Thanks for the info.

Blender obviously has the power to be a CAD package, but the user interface and assumed defaults of operation just don’t lend themselves to a productive CAD environment IMO. If the developers produced a template designed for how a CAD operator wants to see the world then it might be more usable.

I’m installing BricsCAD today and see how that goes.

Go with FreeCAD

A lot of users are against the idea of blender becoming a CAD package… but who knows, someday blender might just be a one-stop program for artists and architects/ engineers alike.

Let me know how it goes, If you encounter problems just drop me a message or something. I’ll do my best to help.

Good luck!