Is there anyway to make it so navigating through the viewport more like 3ds max?

I’ve been using 3DS Max 2011 for all of my own stuff but now I’m taking a modeling class where we need to use blender, and I’m not a fan of how to navigate the viewport in Blender.

Whenever you rotate with the middle mouse key, the viewport gets all crooked which I don’t like. I like how in 3DS Max it has a cube in the top right of the viewport which you can use to easily rotate in any direction or in a single direction. It also lets you easily jump between top/left/front/etc views.

Is there anyway to get this into blender? The numpad sort of does what I want but I don’t like it being on the numpad. Even if I could get the numpad’s functionality on the middle mouse button that would be way better.

Whenever you rotate with the middle mouse key, the viewport gets all crooked which I don’t like.
That’s trackball rotation. To change to Turntable go to User Preferences (Ctrl+Alt+U), Input & look for Orbit Style on the right side (EDIT: sorry, LEFT side…)

Is there anyway to get this into blender? The numpad sort of does what I want but I don’t like it being on the numpad.
There is an add-on called 3d Navigation (enable in User Preferences). This allows you to navigate through the Tool shelf (T).

I believe I’ve seen an addon that allowed you to navigate using the mouse (drawing lines), but that one seems missing atm. Not too sure though.

Another option would be to change the shortcuts to your liking