Is there anyway to tell Blender to skip the current rendering bucket?

You know that feeling when Blender is rendering a blank area while it is showing you how many samples it is executing rendering that useless blank area ?
Is there a shortcut key one can click to basically tell Blender “You idiot ! There is nothing there, I have no idea why you are not program to realize that you idiot, so just skip processing this square you idiot !” ?

As far as I know - no.
But it’s not needed, because Cycles detects quickly if a bucket is ‘empty’.
You can see that if you render using only one device. The number of samples goes up very quickly for empty buckets because there is nothing there for Cycles to do (no bounces, or all iterations having the same result triggering termination)

1 Like

I wish Blender would split the last tile into X number of tiles where X is the highest number of tiles that can be rendered at once and fit in that tile. When using CPU+GPU rendering, it always wastes so much time on that last tile if it ends up on a CPU core.

For the record, Cycles does not have any adaptive stopping feature at the moment, so there can be tiles that converge quickly, but take a while to finish.

The biggest challenge I see in adaptive stopping is that with bright values and/or large highlights, you might see a tonemapped results that looks fairly smooth. The raw data however shows major value differences, so the render engine gets stuck and puts a limit on the time you save. Then there is the opposite problem in dark areas, areas might retain a bit of noise after the tile is stopped because the total rate of change is just smaller.

To overcome this issue is not exactly easy and needs code that is smarter than a simple buffer comparison, especially if you don’t want to risk revealing a ton of noise in compositing if the tonemapping changes.

If it is just blank, use transparency. Obviously if the background is fully covered it won’t work but you can use separate render layers for it.

Cycles renders much faster when it does not need to render that void of darkest pixels in the universe.

Enable transparency in film.

Pull your hair out watching Blender sending sample upon samples of transparent area…

Not sure, it never happened to me that way.