Is this a bug? or am I stupid :)

(Hexa-dB) #1

I think I might have found a bug. Apologies if this is well known/documented/not a bug but a user error.

• create a mesh
  • create another mesh while still in edit mode, and make sure they overlap
  • select all vertices and click intersect
  • create another mesh (again making sure it overlaps)
  • click intersect
  • I find that Blender freezes at this point.

I’ve tried with Blender 2.23 (IIRC) at home and Publisher 2.25 at work.

Is it a bug or am I trying to do something stupid?

(S68) #2

wistle absent-mindedly rotating his eyes

well…

…no…

But…

…intersect looks for intersections betwen different faces (Tri and quads) of a same mesh.

Algorithm is very ‘instable’ and in most tuts you find ‘Warning: save your work before using intersect’

This because when faces are almost parallel or a face is much bigger than another there can be divisions by zero around…

Furthermore an intersect generates a lot of unneeded vertexes, which can be deleted with ‘remove doubles’ So when you try a SECOND intersect over a mesh where there are coincident nodes you have not removed… a chrash is almost certin :slight_smile:

Try to remove doubles before second intersect…

maybe it does not freeze :wink:

Stefano

(The Lurker) #3

[quote=“S68”]

Algorithm is very ‘instable’ and in most tuts you find ‘Warning: save your work before using intersect’

Stefano[/quote]

This is still true for the new improved booleans. I haven’t had any problems with freezing but try to get similar results with out doing the same operation 50 times. I have had it work correctly once on my latest project and I still have a mess to clean up on the mesh.