Is this normal? Eevee is very sluggish when Im using the node editor

So I have a simple project in blender. Its a bended pencil with 1 material applied to it.
However, when im working on the material in the node editor, and i change a color or a texture of whatever, Blender becomes very sluggish and freezes for a couple of seconds.

This only happens when I have a 3D viewport open (in rendered or material mode). So It has to do with compiling the material or something.

Is there something I can do to make this faster? Because its just a simple project that Eevee should be able to handle fast right?

I have set viewport shading to rendered

Im running a Threadripper 2950X with 64RAM and a 1080Ti videocard
Blender 2.82

109,500 verts, 551MB memory.

This is the second post I’ve seen on here where someone is complaining about sluggish performance. Both people are using AMD CPUs with nVidia GPUs. I’m now wondering if this combination isn’t being supported properly in Blender 2.8x.

Do you have both the CPU and GPU boxes checked in Preferences > System > Cycles Render Devices? If so, try unchecking the CPU and see if that changes anything.

BTW, I absolutely LOVE that pencil!

Hi @Sackadoo

Thank you for you reply and kind words about the pencil. To be honest, its not my original design. I just remade it from an existing image and gave it my own twist.

Regarding my issue…Im working in Eevee, so im not sure what the Cycles settings you suggested could help with this. I have tried your suggestion, but it doesnt seem to work unfortunately :frowning: Any other suggestions?

No pun intended, eh? :slight_smile:

You didn’t say which OS you’re using. If it’s Windows, you can try two things. Reboot (when in doubt, reboot has been the Windows user’s watch-phrase since Microsoft first ‘borrowed’ the windowing interface from Xerox Park). If that doesn’t help, uninstall/reinstall may. If a straight uninstall/reinstall doesn’t work, try uninstalling, deleting all Blender folders from C:\Users<your username>\AppData\Roaming, etc., then reboot and reinstall. Sometimes these seemingly ridiculous incantations do the trick.

If you’re using OSX or Linux, I can’t think of anything else to try.

But I still have to wonder if it doesn’t have something to do with your AMD CPU combined with an nVidia card. And to answer your question about Cycles settings, I can’t say for sure those settings are also used by Eevee, but I wouldn’t rule it out at this time.

Ah yes I forgot sorry, yes im on the latest Windows OS
I have blender on my C drive (SSD)…the project is on a different SSD. But that shouldnt be a problem.

Ill try reinstalling and ill come back to you…thanks again!

1 Like