Is this the right price on turbo squid?

I’m new to it and need your opinion. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Think it’ll sell? :o

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/headphone-jack-3d-model/666635

nice model, pricing is about right too :slight_smile:
only thing is that you should have a good descriptive write up and a little less focal blur

I wonder it it will sell, should i keep making more models to expand the chances of something selling?

I notice you are offering up 3 different formats. Do you have those other programs to test your product on or are you just saving to those formats and letting the customer fend for themselves if something doesn’t translate over correctly? I’ve always wonder this. I can’t afford to have all those programs to do tests on and customer support if it doesn’t work right. I figure if I ever do offer up models then I’d probably just do OBJ format. Let the customer convert it if they need. I know having more formats is better… but if I can’t help them if something isn’t right then that is not good either.

No, sadly i don’t. You made a really good point though, but if i just had OBJ, i don’t think it would sell. D: I could be wrong of course, since i’m new to selling these models and have no idea as to what i’m getting into… I’m sure if someone did have a problem, they could contact me and i could have a friend test the file format with his program and hopefully fix it. Thanks for the comment, again, you brought up a really good point. :smiley: I’ll be thinking as to more on how to cease this problem.

Hi GoldenBlueberry,

I work for TurboSquid and noticed your post here and wanted to pop on and offer some advice.

To understand what will sell on the site you also need to understand the customer base. The TurboSquid customer base ranges from hobbyists to large production houses, customers also come from a number of industries from Gaming to Architecture and Advertising. It may be no surprise that the larger and more established production houses spend a great deal more on site.

Remember that you are supplying content that will be used by a 3D artist like yourself. They will likely be professionals who are capable of modelling and texturing very well, but may be on a tight deadline and therefore they do not have a lot of available hours to simply make the content in-house.

At the level of detail, price point and concept of the model you are probably going to target customers who absolutely do not have any available time available. They will also need a model posed exactly as you have set it up. That customer base is going to be pretty limited.

Here is what I would recommend for higher sales on TurboSquid:

• Created models should take a professional artists a number of hours to create. Anything less than a couple of hours and you are competing against artists who have time to create the model in-house on their own available time.
  • Unwrap and texture your models. Include high resolution maps.
  • On the model you have I can imagine the wire being animated, you are limiting it’s use by including just one pose.
  • Allow for subdivision of the geometry. On your headphone jack the wire is faceted, which would not be ideal for close-ups.
  • Include wireframes in your previews. Customers need to see the geometry.
  • Include the polygon count.
  • Any models with polycounts over 50,000 would likely be considered a hero model, which means at the detail level it will likely be used in the foreground. For that reason the model should be suitable for extreme close-ups.
  • Get to know the TurboSquid catalog of products. There are already a number of highly detailed headphone jacks on the site. If you are building similar content then you will be competing with others on the site, this will only lead to a decrease in sales overall.
  • Make sure you are building a model as accurately as possible. Models of real-world objects like the jack should be exact matches where possible.
  • Include the type of jack in the keywords so that customers can find it. I’m not sure what type of jack this is, it doesn’t look like a stereo, 1/4" or anything that I have seen.

http://www.turbosquid.com/3d-models/3ds-max-mono-jack/558392 and http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/549684 seem to be a great examples of a similar model that could be used in may ways. Both are high detail, but a reasonable polycount. They are also deformable, allowing the wire to be posed in any position.

The most important point I can’t stress enough is that it should add incredible value to the customer. In most cases the value is derived from the quality of the model and the time saved from creating the content in-house. Creating a number of quick models is not usually the path to great sales.

I hope that this advice will help.

Cheers,
Jonathan

Thank you very very much for this post, it couldn’t have been anymore helpful! :smiley: I’ll for sure be including all the things in all the models soon to come. Thanks so much!