Is using the hemi lamp as a shadow a good technique?

i want to use it because it takes a shorter time to render oppose to environment lighting and cylces lighting epecially having to do with the amount of samples.

If I remember right, in Blender internal Hemi lamps did not give shadows. I think in cycles the hemi lamp is nothing more than a point lamp right now… unless they have changed something. Hopefullly someone can confirm that for you… Im just going off memory, and at my age not always such a good thing :slight_smile:

Not in my experience. If you want to sacrifice quality over speed, then
go ahead :smiley:

@harleynut97: you are correct, Sir!

The Blender Internal Hemi lamp is rotationless, locationless and shadowless. It is the equivalent of ambient world light (Renderman). I have seen respected tutorial artist misuse the Hemi by taking the time to position and rotate a Hemi thinking those adjustments really make a difference (quite funny). All you can do with a Hemi is add it to the scene. Go ahead, place it inside the cube or under the floor. It will still light your scene.

I use the Hemi if I have a lot of dark areas that are not being illuminated by direct lighting and I do not want to slow down the render by adding in Ambient Occlusion of other GI based lighting. It is a brightener but reduces contrast as you increase it.

“i want to use it because it takes a shorter time to render”
That’s the wrong reason to use anything

yep I’ve positioned them loads of times like an idiot then :stuck_out_tongue:

@raytrace: Not an idiot by any means, I see a lot of tutorials using it as a “fill light”, but in my experience it doesn’t work so well or is not needed at all
People read stuff, see stuff, watch stuff, and assume it’s right…what is supposed to happen is not always the case when you actually hit F12 :slight_smile:

haha yeah the old hit F12 is often a total surprise - you’re just like ‘did I set it up like this???’

@r4ytrace: Haha! Indeed

Blender Internal, one area light:

Don’t believe what you read :smiley:

That’s not true at all. Rotation of the hemi lamp definitely matters. Take a hemi lamp, rotate it 180 degrees, and only the bottom of your default cube will be lit. The hemi lamp is indeed locationless and will pass through objects allowing it to act as a fill light, but if a surface normal isn’t directly facing the dome of the hemi lamp the light will not affect that face. Because of this it can be very useful to use hemi lamps to simulate GI by placing one rotated down tinted blue for the sky, and one facing up tinted green at very low power to simulate bounce lighting from grass, for example.

m9105826: show me

amazing - looks like thick enamel or something

@m9105826: Thank you, I just learned something today. I had never rotated a hemi lamp that far.

Another tip using Hemi’s is to set their Energy very low. I typically drop it down from the default of 1.0 to 0.1 as a start then go down from there.

@r4ytrace: Thank you :slight_smile: