Is UV unwrapping really this wonky?

Hi folks,

I’m trying to learn UV unwrapping. I’m starting on a fairly simple model of mine (it’s going to be a futuristic vehicle…kinda dumb looking, I know). I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get a reasonably unwrap, however. I’m attaching an image: look at those two square faces. Why do they end up so strangely different in the unwrap? What can I do about this? I’ve tried fiddling with all the different settings and unwrap modes I can find, but to no avail…

I love Blender. Please help me figure out this one frustrating bit. :confused:

Attachments

Unwrapping is not like some button you hit and make sure to get the right settings. Unwrapping in some cases takes just as long as modeling. You unwrap parts at a time, and try to logically place seems. Usually there will need to be some manual editing of the uvs as well. It appears you just selected your entire model and hit the smart projections button. Very very rarely will that yield a usable map. The smart projects can be used in certain situations on certain parts of your model.

You need to think about how you want to texture that thing, and place seems accordingly. For instance if there is a natural seem in the plating thats a good place to place your uv seem. Try unwrapping sections at a time. Get a checker texture so you can see where stretching is and correct accordingly. This is not something you set set parameters, and push a button for. (unless your modelling something like a beach ball, or something incredibly primitive)

Yep, it does take time and different techniques as well. I often start with the smart projection for a overall layout, then see if there is some problem area, like you have in your model. For smart projections, try playing with the parameters (unwrap multiple times and view the results) and align your viewport to the most logical target area befor you unwrap. For other areas I will select only those faces and align my 3D viewport with those faces (if possible) and project from view. When I project from view I use the LEFT, FRONT. TOP views so I know I am exactly aligned be for I project from view.

So I use a combination of different projection techniques for different areas on a mesh. I’m not sure if others use that approach or not?