Isolate and Object view

Hello, is there a way to isolate an object and temporarily place it in an object view?

I’m modeling a plant with just a few large leaves, and each leaf is an object positioned and rotated to its final location.

Something like this:

Is there a way to select just one leaf, click a button that enters a state that places that leaf at 0,0,0 without rotation, then I can do all the local edits I need, and then exit that state, and the leaf is back to its position in the plant with the modifications I did?

Or is there any parenting trick that would allow me to do this?

Thank you!

local mode:
Select a leaf and press “devide” key on numpad. Another press of it reverse to normal.
That does what you want except moving to 0,0,0

There isn’t such a button, but:

• if your leaves are indeed actual objects and you still have their rotation not applied, you can create a linked duplicate (Object -> Duplicate Linked), reset rotation and location on it and work on it in Local View suggested by @rigoletto above. It being linked would mean that all edits you do will also transfer to the original. Afterwards you can just delete the duplicate.
  • if your leaves aren’t objects, and/or if they already have the rotation applied, then you’ll first need to somehow restore that rotation, for example using a technique shown here:

After restoring the orientation you can use the first method with the linked duplicate.

Thank you Rigoletto, I tried the divide key, but it seems to just hide all objects except the selected one, but it doesn’t affect the grid.

Thank you Stan_Pancakes, I tried your method, but since my object has bend modifies, it deforms the object when I move it.

The best result I’ve had so far is to use the Lattice modifier applied after the bend modifiers, the lattice interpolation set to linear, and then I move the lattice’s verts, and it moves my object. Then, just entering Edit Mode, I get my object placed in the Object Space. The main issue here is that the lattice has to be really big, and I have to move the lattice verts.

Is there another modifier I can try? This operation reminds me of skin shaders in games, or the skin modifier in 3dsmax.

Thank you for your replies!

So from this:

…we suddenly go to this:

Is there anything else you’d like to share about your requirements before we proceed with further advice? :wink:

Instead of modifying the object’s (or duplicate’s) origin directly, you can parent it to an appropriately-aligned Empty, and then reset the Empty. This shouldn’t then affect the modifiers. Unless of course, you’re using modifiers that also reference other objects.

You’re right stan, one blend is better than a million words.leaf_with_bends.blend (760.3 KB)

This blend file has my leaf, with two bend and one lattice modifier. I can use the lattice to move my leaf to it’s final position, tweak it if needed, duplicate it, and then modifie the mesh and bends of the duplicated leaf to get a new unique leaf.

My background is 3dsmax so it’s very possible that there is an easier workflow in blender and I’m just using unnecessary loops.

Thank you for your help!

I just tried your suggestion with the empty parent and it works great… Is there a way reset the transform only while editing the mesh? Like using a Mix Transform node that mixes the transform identity with the transform of my placement?

However, I think I can just save the transform in a python variable, reset the transform, edit my leaf, and then reapply that value to my transform… This might work.

Thanks!

Animate it. Like, on current frame insert a keyframe for location, rotation, scale. Move one frame right, reset transform, insert another keyframe. Now you can switch between the two with arrow keys :slight_smile: Isn’t this how people used to temporarily transform objects, e.g. for a bake explode?

I’m going to take a peek at the blend anyway (maybe there’s an even easier way), but a bit later.

Yes!!! That works.
Thank you!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: