Isolating outer faces?

Hey guys,
I’ve got a model that has a lot of inner detailing that is completely unnecessary for my needs(3d printing)
Intersecting parts etc etc.
Wondering if there is a automated way of hollowing it out, or isolating only the outer layer?
A modifier or similar perhaps?

The original .obj can be found on my Thingiverse page.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:169856

Apologies for the wording, I’m somewhat new to the world of 3d modelling and blender.

Any advice is much appreciated!
Cheers!

it looks like the outer parts are mostly connected, so you should be able to just go into edit mode, select a single vert of the outer shell and press ctrl L ( select linked ), then invert your selection and x for delete. if you need to select multiple shell pieces, shift select a vert from one of the other pieces and repeat the previous process.

When I need to get at the insides of meshes and work I select verts I don’t need to see and press h to hide them (alt h will unhide them). Maybe that will help you too.

Thanks guys,

No joy on your suggestion Modron, whenever I hit invert it jump to a the other components of the model, even after joining all the pieces together.

Brent,
Thanks for that, rather useful to know :slight_smile:

Thanks guys,

No joy on your suggestion Modron, whenever I hit invert it jump to a the other components of the model, even after joining all the pieces together.

Brent,
Thanks for that, rather useful to know :slight_smile:

Upload it to Netfabb Cloud Service, download after and Import to Blender.
In Blender select one vertex of main part then Select Linked (Crtl+L), Invert selection and delete all vertices.
Then you have manifold mesh, ready for 3D printing.

Image: Only half part is visible that you can see inside.

Attachments