Issue with Blender 2.49 64bit in Windows Vista

Well, I had problems with the release candidates not loading, but I fixed this by using Windows Automatic updates, then 2.49 64bit RC3 worked a treat.

I have just downloaded the 64 bit release of 2.49, and I am greeted with this rather unhelpful error when I try to start the program -

The Application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail.

I really wanted to start using the 64 bit version, but it looks like I will be stuck using 2.49 32bit that works without a hitch.

And yes, I am running Windows Vista 64bit!

did you see the application event log for more details?

Starts up fine for me in XP 64bit … hopefully that bit of info will help to narrow down the problem.

I too am getting a side by side error. this is what the event log says:
Activation context generation failed for “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\blender.exe.Manifest”. Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC90.OpenMP,processorArchitecture=“amd64”,publicKeyToken=“1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b”,type=“win32”,version=“9.0.21022.8” could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis
Any ideas?

d’oh
installed the redistributable package for C++ libraries for x86 by mistake
whoops
works fine now

I got a similar problem, but I don’t remember what exactly the error was, so I just got the 32bit again…
Oh, and yes I’m on 64bit vista, which is usually what i chalk the problems i get, to being the cause of. :slight_smile: anyways, I’m more posting just to keep an eye on the thread easier. if i decide to go farther with figuring it out I’ll post later.

Installed the Visual C++ 2005 64-bit libraries, but that didn’t fix the error for me. Anything else it could be?

edit: ahh, the 2008 64-bit libraries fixed it. :slight_smile:

Hello guys,

I am the one compiling the win64 release executables.

Thanks to your hint, I added to the note that you need the
“Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)” files which can be downloaded from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=BA9257CA-337F-4B40-8C14-157CFDFFEE4E

Very important to note, that it’s the “SP1” package but it seems that the normal package also worked for you guys :slight_smile:

I hope this solved the issue for you MrHust.

Greetings,
Daniel

Yes, cheers. Problem solved!

One other problem, how do I get Python 2.6 to work with 2.49 64bit? It does seem to come bundled within the zip, but it has no installer. I did try and look for a 64bit version of Python 2.6, but I couldn’t find one.

Any help appreciated!

Go to this link:

and grab the “Python 2.6.2 Windows AMD64 installer”

that’ll do :smiley:

Cheers. I assumed with it saying AMD, that it was specifically for AMD processors!

Nice to hear that the crashing are gone so far :slight_smile:

Damit, I’m getting this issue on windows Vista 32 bit.

I just uninstalled Blender, and tried to install blender 2.49a and I get the error
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll281/dustbin1_uk/Capture4.jpg

Nothing else on the system has changed.

EDIT:
Sorry forgot to ask. Where is the log it’s on about?

dusty ghost,

Did you install the Visual C++ 2008 libraries? Maybe re-install those libraries…

Visual C++ 2008 libs?? no… no I didn’t…

Ok I’ll go look for those.

Thank you!