Issue with rigid body constraint (point) and additional parenting of objects

Hi there,

I hope someone can help me with this issue I have with blender 2.90.

I have three objects. A platform, a handrail and a lamp. The handrail is parented to the platform.

Lamp (active rigid body) and handrail (passive rigid body) are connected via an Empty with rigid body constraint (point). This works fine so far.

The Empty is parented to the handrail, so it is following it’s position.

The problem is, if I animate location / rotation of the platform, what is what I want, the lamp does not move with it.

I would assume that, throught the rigid body constraint, the lamp would also move with the other objects.

Any idea how to solve that?

If I understand your setup correctly, the solution should be to toggle ‘animated’ in the handrails’ rigidbody settings.

Check this example blendfile to see if the setup is similar to what you’re describing

example.blend (851.3 KB)

It’s not the RBC that matters-- leave it unparented. Its orientation at frame 1 is the only thing that matters.

What matters is the body on the other side of the RBC, the handrail. (And as skleembof suggested, you want to make sure that it has the animated trait, not passive.)

A file would help to diagnose exactly what’s going wrong.

Thank you very much, both of you. The example file pretty much shows what I want.

Toggling “animated” property for handrail made it work, but another issue occured.
After animation of the platform has finished, the lampshade “goes crazy” and moves around. It should just swing a bit, because of the platform’s movement, and then slowly finds it’s position, considering gravity.

This time, project file attached.

test.blend (1.3 MB)

Fixed your problem. Here’s the blend file: 2_example.blend (1.1 MB)

The problem is that you had duplicates of the empty, handrail, and lamp objects in the rigid body world collection.. Why they were duplicated I have no idea, maybe you did something weird while experimenting with the rigidbody settings. The 2nd handrail object was the one that was messing up the physics at the end

To fix it, go to the outliner and change it to blender file mode, then go to collections, find rigidbody world, and delete the duplicate objects.

Blue arrow is where you change outliner to blender file mode, red arrow shows duplicates

Thanks for help. Problem solved