It takes a community to make a village

(smurf23) #1

Ok here is my idea. We should make a town setting around when castles were here in the center is more trading and such but in the mountains there is small huts and caves, and I was hoping you guys would help. So please post anythnig helpful ohh and I will find free file hosting so once someone get the start of the project they post what they did then we add it to the vilage.

(Alltaken) #2

already in the piplines, called Blenderville, and we are trying to get a coder to finish the website.

you are most welcome to help

Alltaken

(smurf23) #3

Mine is a little different then yours…

(nehpets) #4

yes, but his is actually going to happen :]

oh wait…they’ve already done some to it…

his has happened

give up now before you make an idiot out of yourself

(JellyWerker) #5

but blenderville is so hard to get property for!

(nehpets) #6

because they want it to look nice…and for people to work hard to get into it. if we had everything free(like blender is) then we would be spoiled. i personally don’t mind a little competition…because i know i can compete ;]

(smurf23) #7

his has happened

give up now before you make an idiot out of yourself[/quote]

:<

(SamAdam) #8

watch it!

(digital_me) #9

Smurf: It’s just that this has been happening already for about ~8 months, and it IS happening, so people (myself included) don’t really like it when someone comes along with the exact (basicly) same idea that is already happening. If you want a cave in a mountain, then wait till blenderville comes out, win some smcs, get some money, buy some property, and make yourself a nice cave in the mountains.

(smurf23) #10

Mine been happening to I decided to post it on the forums though. Ill see if I can get some screen I think were up to 80,000 polys now. Edit per house.

(Alltaken) #11

Smurf, i am not trying to discourage you by posting that blenderville was happening and in planning already.

yours is focused on a pre-made situation (i don’t know if its a 3d virtual thing where you move around in 3d or not) with buildings pre-made, and the town existing already? is it not?

blenderville has been designed to start with a blank canvas, we will have an island without nothing on it, perhaps some trees, we will have a volcano, a rocky shore, a cave… over time as various challenges happen and people earn more points the community grows and the town grows.

you get your land and can do as you wish with it.

i know that running a project, and feeling in control of things is important to a lot of people. but re-doing existing work, or creating competition to somthing already being done is in the long run, in nobodies interests.

the blender community is not very big, it has not yet reached critical mass (not enough to sustain multiple community websites that offer the same things).

discuss your ideas, i am happy to hear them, how things happen, do you own land, is it all free…

i am not trying to control blenderville or the idea, others have designed the landscape, others have worked on the website. i offered the idea, proposal, website, and am working on getting it all together.

p.s. there was a previous website with a “blenderville” on it, however this website failed or was taken offline just before i joined the community. Blenderville the new generation may suffer the same fate, who knows.

but the same idea done 1/2 twice, won’t help anyone.
being precious about your one, or me being precious about blenderville is silly in the circumstances.

as you said, it takes a community to make a village, well i am happy for you to help the community make a village, and all help is needed, there is a lot still to be done, yes inculding making state buildings such as the townhall.

[edit]

enthusiasm is great BTW, people who dream may not achieve all their proposals and goals, however people who stick around with enthusiasm will achieve somthing good.

Blender battles was created in mid 2004 (it was that or Blenderville, i had them both imagined but could only make one), i created blender battles as choice over blenderville as i saw it as the first step. i then released the plans in the form of a many page PDF proposal to the community (not a 6 line post), that shows that effort has already been taken to think things through and communicate intentions, once the community knows what is happening they can then get enthusiastic too.

this proposal was released to the public, i don’t know how many months or years after i wished to make the site. little has happened on blenderville as i have been at uni, but it is still there and the dream nor the community has given up on it.

your idea of a community based town is obviously a good one, and obviously somthing people want. look at all the people who have replied saying they really want somthing like this. i am hoping that you are not going to be offended by people who say its being done somewhere else, as you essentially hit the nail on the head with the idea, but came a little to late. (like the second guy who invented the wheel must have felt)

again, if you want real imput into a project along the lines of your idea, then feel free to get in before it goes public. Then you will be in a position of power for blenderville when it is finished.

if anything i have written sounds nasty its not intended to be, but is there any really nice way of saying, “don’t do a seperate project, but join ours which does the same”.

[/edit]

Alltaken

(smurf23) #12

Nope only 5 houses 1 lake, moutains, a townsqaure all bassed in the middle ages. What I would of liked was for you guys to make mmore houses, people, little shops, caves and secret areas, other part of the world like islands. The stuff already made was made by me and 3 other guys.

(Alltaken) #13

are people making new houses and such required to make them in the middle ages style?

Alltaken

(nehpets) #14

his has happened

give up now before you make an idiot out of yourself[/quote]

:<[/quote]

gar !

more little text that you have to paste into a text editor just to see what it says…thats right, this is really nothing bad at all or mean, or rude, or stupid, or mean, or rude…or…wait…

don’t you feel dumb now ?

(Alltaken) #15

nehpets, whether or not his idea has been done before (or is being done) in its entirity is nothing that gives someone else the right to disrespect them.

disrespecting him on a personal level rather than trying to discuss things calmly is not particularly plesent.

i don’t agree that he should keep doing it as a competition project to blenderville, but i think the man is a genius for coming up with an awsome idea :stuck_out_tongue: (which would make me a genius too i guess)

Alltaken

(0ptikz) #16

more little text that you have to paste into a text editor just to see what it says…thats right, this is really nothing bad at all or mean, or rude, or stupid, or mean, or rude…or…wait…

don’t you feel dumb now ?

Not a jot…since I could read it clearly right in my browser. Question is: Don’t you feel dumb now? :stuck_out_tongue:

(nehpets) #17

actually. no, not really

but i forgot that my resolution was set really high. so yeah, o well.

but anyways, this whole time its not been any type of personal attack. im just being really sarcastic.

im sorry :]

(smurf23) #18

I can read that etxt just fine, and I didnt have to put it in a text edittor its called qaute delete 7 type 24. Yes it is required to be made in the middle ages so you get a constant theme. Instead of cobblestone houses to steel skyscrapers.

(Alltaken) #19

ok, then good luck with your project. would love to see some screenies/ renders

Alltaken