It's in the code- Up next Rendering in Passes

We can see the setup in the recent cvs for render layers. But now it looks like it’s on forreal.

Ton aka “the code master” as “they” call him on the street is dropping rendering passes into the code soup.

Read here…

http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/bf-committers/2006-February/013456.html

See here-

Oh yeah, this year we’re going to party on down.

I just read the same thing from the obligatory Bf-blender-cvs Digest.

/me goes to party

Dancing in the streets!

dang i am gonna be needing to get my hands on these builds. the more cool features i can dominate my classmates with (the ones on Maya) the better.

they are all learners at Maya) well most of them will be, so i don’t think i will have a problem whipping their asses.

Alltaken

The most beautifull day in my life :smiley:

Whats so good about render passes? I dont know anything about them. :expressionless:

/me gets slapped

http://www.3drender.com/light/compositing/

:smiley:

Does it export to PSD?

Very cool work indeed, I’m looking forward to rerendering some of my old work with this, maybe correct some issues with one or two of the passes.

No, but it saves to OpenEXR, which you can open with Photoshop with the plugin from OpenEXR.org.

And yes, I’m too lazy to make that a link.

<Dittohead, however, is not too lazy>

I see a Z on that node–can it be, real depth buffers? Gimme gimme!

i agree, psd is quite important.

Hehe, thanks. I edited your post in appriciation.

i agree, psd is quite important.[/quote]

What advantages does psd have over tiff? You can store arbitrary channels in tiff files. It supports as high bit-depth per channel as you need too. You can store a 32-bit floating point z-buffer in a tiff file from Renderman for example.

Render passes look ace, but I have a couple of minor niggles about how a Blender user makes use of them.

As has been stated, to read the EXR format, one can download a plugin to use with Photoshop. This is my first major gripe. To read the file in this way, a user would have to be using Photoshop. Photoshop ain’t cheap and ain’t ‘open’ in the way Blender and the openEXR format is.

So what are the alternatives for us freebie, open-source fans? I don’t think GIMP can open EXR files, can it?

Since I don’t think GIMP can, what else is there in the open-source arena for editing openEXR format files?

Also, whilst I can understand Blender’s coders wishing to implement openEXR as a format, I reckon that a Blender user should be able to decide what the render passes are saved as.

Using a TIFF/TGA format would be a perfectly viable alternative for most folk I’d imagine?

Just seems strange that Blender is finally getting render passes, and the format of choice could be tricky to work with in image manipulation tools.

Now if I’m wrong about anything, that’s okay. I’m open to a discussion on this as I honestly can’t think of how someone can edit openEXR files in anything other than Photoshop %|

/me is partying

Great work Ton.

PolygoneUK: Krita (http://koffice.kde.org/krita/) supports OpenEXR images.

finaly, that is so great, render the AO pass once and than when you finish textures you just only render the non-AO pass and compose all together.

that is great!

claas

Thanks for that BeBraw, I will take a gander at this Krita thing later this evening. :smiley:

At least Cinepaint has high-bit colorspaces but I don’t know if it has OpenEXR.

Krita has 16 bit per channel colorspaces and support for openEXR in CVS (so they will be in the next official version, 1.5). It was still very buggy a few weeks ago when I tried it but I don’t know if the situation has improved.

[edit]Oops. Slow, aren’t we? :stuck_out_tongue:

Wicked! Passes look like they are very nicely implemented. I really hope the rest of blender moves more over to this node workflow. I’d prefer if AO became a node for an example. Would be so much more flexible and useful.