It's in the code- Up next Rendering in Passes

Just compiled from CVS but render passes are still no active… where’s the catch?

The Composite node only shows Normal and Speed blue pins, no AO, no Diff, etc. etc.

It’s a Cygwin compile, maybe is this the problem?

So it seems that they are disabled yet.

hafunui: If you want to see a very simple example of how it all goes together, check out this post in my yasp thread:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=546004&highlight=#546004

I did this a couple of weeks ago using the sample file at the link that Alvero gave you…In the last 2 pics you can see how you can instantly tweek the look of your image without rerendering…A big timesaver!

Of course, everything in the yasp thread will be completely obsolete by the time Ton( and the other devs) gets done adding nodes to the sequence editor…

lox_federico:Those outputs will be on the render node when they are implemented… I believe the composite node just sends the image back to the render buffer… you actually combine and tweek the render passes with instances of the mix node(and other nodes) first and then use the composit node to get the “rendered” output for saving the image…

Ok I don’t understand… can these seperate passes be combined within Blender, or is it done only in an exterior program somehow ?

yeah, you can do the compositing now either in the compositor with nodes or in the seq editor using my plugins…the trick right now is getting the separate render passes to composite…

You can manually do separate render passes now but it’s a pain (separate setups and renders for each pass)… Ton’s new code will give you access to all of the passes in one easy step.

At least Cinepaint has high-bit colorspaces but I don’t know if it has OpenEXR.
[/quote]

I recommend CinePaint, beacuse it support OpenEXR !!!:
http://cinepaint.bigasterisk.com/HighDynamicRange

Gimp hasn’t supported OpenEXR…

Greetings ! And THX Ton !!! :slight_smile:

Will it take much more rendering time to work with passes ?

Extremely good news and one of the few remaining features that blender was lacking to complete with some of the more professional packages. Can’t wait for the next release.

Fires up Shake and gets ready

In theory, it shouldn’t. Each different portion of those passes (diffuse, spec, reflection, shadow, etc.) are already being calculated during the render process. Currently, those results are put together to give a final pixel color. With passes, you just pipe each result to a different channel.

Have you ever heard of Cinepaint? It can open OpenEXR images. . . though only on Linux. I’ve only seen Cinepaint .20 open OpenEXR images. They haven’t ported Cinepaint .20 to Windows yet.

I’d heard of it, but wasn’t sure about it. I’ll add it to the “check it out list” along with Krita :wink:

Woooooot! :smiley:

Where are all the crazy party smileys when you need them!

Awesome news.

Mystery

Photoshop can open EXR images if you install the plugin og OpenEXR’s site.