tl;dr: Working on improving time-to-quality render ratio. Provide feedback.
So I made a new years resolution to create a Blender blog and render a (work) day for 2012. So far it’s been a great success, at least from a keeping-up-with-it perspective.
I had originally wanted each render to be completely independent works, meaning that I would complete the entire thing over my lunch hour. Last week I did a 4 day (starting on Tuesday) render that began with a socket. I subsequently added a plug, a computer and then a monitor.
I liked this a little better because it allows me to use more than just 1 hour per project, but it does sacrifice the “One and Done” philosophy I’ve been using. On the flip side, it also shows how adding more time to a render at my current skill level does not improve the quality of render.
I am attributing the quality plateau to a lack of feed back. So I am going to add a little more to my hobby load and post a WIP a week that I can work on in addition to my less-refined render a day. Hopefully the more refined weekly WIP feedback/methods can translate over to the render-a-days.