I've got fired and now don't know what to do

From what I know working conditions can vary, perhaps there can be awful companies and perhaps really good companies, so you are 50-50 in here. What company or what people you meet is entirely by chance.

Truth is about programming is that the hours are long, and the amount of studying keeps increasing everyday (the pile only gets larger). Also the work feels like it is never ending. You will never feel proud of completing any task you can admire, because either you will have to fix bugs or rewrite it at some point.

So the real meaning of programming, is not the job itself (if is good or bad). But is more of like an attitude, that either you go by principles and methodologies or not go at all. That either you push and force yourself to advance or not advance at all. And this is not simply something that you decide, is a necessity.

I think that in many creative professions (design/artistic/3D), due to the great amount of flexibility (do things in a fancy way, do things stylish way) and the amount of human factor involved (arbitrary criteria to follow for no apparent reason but just because we are told so), these are problems that cause a tremendous amount of work-strain and unrealistic deadlines.

In programming, the entire nature of it, is based on eliminating any unrealistic plan right from the start, throw all fancy and stylish things into a trash can, and forget about flexibility in order to trust the “process” (agile process usually).

As for example if you let me go to that architectural company for work. I would just tell them to throw slabs of prefab concrete everywhere and not loose time on decorations. Even better to go for a “brutalist-dystopian” design for maximum efficiency. Probably I would get fired on-the-spot but you get the point how programmers think -vs- designers and such. :sunglasses:

As I worked in full-stack web development at some point, I did hardcore PHP backend and HTML/CSS frontend. And guess where I got the most complaints and got criticized the most?

Answer

It was on the front end tasks. :zzz: Exactly at the worst possible tasks I didn’t even want to do, that usually are decorative and provide no functionality. Other than make things look pretty.

Though it looks like I am crying about my experience, I am interested to hear your take on things. If for example you work on any artistic/creative job and disagree with me, drop a quote. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey !

Take some rest and step back from this situation so you can find the right thing to do next.
I’m sure you might find a better place to work. I freelanced for a lot of companies and it was always very different. It’s not always simple but you might have a very different experience from one place to another.

I hope you’ll find your way and the most important : a good balance and happiness in life.
We face many difficult situation in life but we can generally turn them for the best. Maybe in a few years being fired and moving on to somewhere else might be the best thing that append in your career as a CG artist, or in life in general !

Good luck !

2 Likes

that sounds like really unrealistic advice. some people don’t have endless job options. and this person has gone through the difficult process of being good enough in 3d to get a job. that’s something that can take a long time. Some people can have it be a hobby and still have another job lined up, but some people don’t? And so they need to figure out how to make it work. IMO i think it takes some effort to learn to make 3d a career cause for a lot of us it was a fun hobby without limits and there is a big adjustment, but it’s not insurmountable. it’s more like when a kid needs to learn to clean their room before they do the fun thing.
maybe it’s just not the company for them? the company expects people to work 12 hour days every day. that doesn’t seem normal? but more like a crunch schedule? And that they should try again. idk. that was my impression. Not every company fits every person. and vice versa.

It was good news that you got out of that company. 12hours day work and sleeping on couch will make anyone health bad.
I think you should get a manual work that makes you get money like mcdonalds, restaurant, tourism or other similar because you are quite vulnerable right now. After that safety net you can think more clearly what you want to do, it also gives chance to search and choose without being desperate for money. If you are desperate for money will be making a bad deal.

1 Like

Is not so much of a matter to look at it holistic terms (I don’t have job - I am happy to do any job - even working 14 hours per day). But if you look at it relativist terms (I don’t have a job - I prefer to work for 8 hours only - I am willing to quit if the hours are long and there is exploitation off-the-record) you weight the pros and cons and do the hard decision.

I think you received more than enough material to read from many people, so I will be brief:

If you can make good art, models, animations… start freelancing immediately; join artstation, Upwork, Fiverr, look for other platforms, start promoting yourself. There is a lot of competition, but if there are no companies near you it’s all you can do.

If you are good enough to get a job in 3D, search for 3D openings abroad. Across the world. Check your mailbox, i’ll send you one job that just opened. I wasn’t good enough to get in, but you might be. And if you’re not, you should still have your eyes open for long-distance employment.

Always calculate your profit in time.
The last job I applied to they told me I would work 66h/week, 20 (house) models per day, pay would be 400. But after 400 I calculated the Upwork fee, currency exchange fee, taxes… and where I lived the minimum wage was 40h/week ++ 700 pay ++ health benefits ++ lunch. I told them this and never looked back. If I wanted to die for an employer I would join a foreign legion.

2 Likes