I've seen star wars III (no Spoiler)

Hi people,

I’ve seen Star Wars Episode III yesterday evening (we french are lucky people!), and wanted to tell everyone who is worried about the quality of the movie. Just, DO NOT !!!

This is simply the best Star Wars movie ever made with Empire Strikes Back.
Although it isn’t as good in character development as Empire, which is impossible cause it talks about the entire republic, a people before talking about few individuals, it is IMHO the most intelligent movie of all the saga. And for the ones who hate Jar Jar, you’ll be happy :slight_smile:

Just wanted to share :slight_smile:

Enjoy

I know it’s gonna rock :slight_smile: But I’m gonna wait a week or so to see it, cause I’m not a fan of crowded cinemas.

May 24’th will be when I see it :slight_smile:

(we french are lucky people!)

I hope you didn’t see it with dubbed sound, with French voices… If so, then you’re not a lukcy people…

And for the ones who hate Jar Jar, you’ll be happy :slight_smile:

Hmm, you said no spoiler, does this mean he gets killed…?

But I’ve heard similair responses to the movie. People who’ve found 1 and 2 sucking or otherwise lacking loved part 3. I’m very curious.

And as a Blender-head, you of course have comments on the CGI, right…:)?

No I’ve seen it in original version. hopefuly I understand english perfectly so it was good to see it with original voices.

About Jar Jar, I said no spoiler, so there’s no spoiler… :slight_smile: (you always imagine the worst…)

The CGI is fantastic, of course, even if the first 5 mins has some strange shots that seems old (with spacecraft moving with little delay matching with background, very strange…) but it’s nothing compared to the huge work that was done, especially for the sets which are almost all CG.

But what I found fabulous is that there’s almost all the time sfx, and you don’t really look at it. Cause the great strenght of the movie is that for people who know the saga, you are witness of the changes that would actually settled the old trilogy. you look at pannels, ships, vehicles and so on, and you recognize evolution of design that leads ultimately to the universe you see from episode IV.

Also WHat I think is that the dramatic, politic and ideologic structure of the movie stay intact despite the large amound of CG and sfx. And it is so rare, that it has to be seen as a wonderful performance.

I hope Jar-Jar gets his hand amputed and beheaded Jedi-style before he can open his mouth in the first minute of the movie.

I a galaxy far away
             a long, long time ago.....
     Deputy senator Jar-Jar Binks got in a 
       quarrel with one of the last Jedi.
  It really was a misunderstanding because 

of his ridiculous pronouciation of words
But the resuslt turn out to be deadly for Jar-Jar just the samey
Meanwhile Anikin Skywalker …

Halfgaar, sounds like you and I may be seeing it at the same time. :slight_smile: A friend is a star-wars-maniac, so the family and I will go see it with her. I wanted to see it anyway, just to finish up the story and see what ol’ George did with the CGI this time.

And when I get home, I’m going to dissect (or maybe dismember) the CGI, piece…by…piece. Yeah, you guessed it, I’m not a big fan of Ep. 2. Episode 1 was alright. It’s just failed to be believable for me anymore.

But I’m hoping the third and final movie will change that. At least I’ll get to study some more choreography from a well-paid choreographer (from an authenticity standpoint, the duel at the end of #1 was, shall we say, bad. I’m hoping that trend doesn’t continue).

Here’s to George for remaining a personable guy despite being worth 3 billion! Health, long life and…well, you’ve already got the prosperity, so I’ll just stop there. :slight_smile:

I’m going to the midnight showing tonight. :smiley:

But, again, movie discussions are off topic. Moved.

Not if they are directly related to CG, they aren’t…and if the new star wars film isn’t directly related to CG, then god knows what is.

It just bugs me when I click on a link and it transports me to a different section of the forum.

Halfgaar, sounds like you and I may be seeing it at the same time.

You wouldn’t happen to live in the Netherlands…?

I’m not a big fan of Ep. 2. Episode 1 was alright. It’s just failed to be believable for me anymore.

2 was plastic IMO, indeed failed to be believable, especially the romance between Anikan and Amidala.

I have to watch 1 (and 2) first, before I’ll go see 3. It’s been a while since I’ve seen 1.

But I’m hoping the third and final movie will change that. At least I’ll get to study some more choreography from a well-paid choreographer (from an authenticity standpoint, the duel at the end of #1 was, shall we say, bad. I’m hoping that trend doesn’t continue).

Then what did you think of the swordfight with Yoda and Dooku?

I a galaxy far away
a long, long time ago…
Deputy senator Jar-Jar Binks got in a
quarrel with one of the last Jedi.
It really was a misunderstanding because
of his ridiculous pronouciation of words
But the resuslt turn out to be deadly for Jar-Jar just the samey
Meanwhile Anikin Skywalker …

You know, I think you’ve got a million-dollar idea here… :slight_smile:

Me too. :slight_smile:

Can’t wait. We have 3-screens in our local cinema that will be showing this
movie exclusively tonight simply because of the tremendous ticket sales.

Even tough I ordered the ticket EARLY at the ticket-sale opening (pre-orders)
I could only secure a seat far to the side in our biggest cinema, at least I got
a seat far-back so it’s not so bad.

Exciting exciting!

I’m seeing it tonight also. HAHAHAHA :smiley:
Can’t wait.

I remember back in 98 or was it 99… I was at the cinema and I stood before a dilema: Matrix or Episode I?
I never heard of the Matrix before except that a friend of mine told me that he heard that it is a good movie. But I thought that it was just another internet theme movie. So I made the wrong choice: Episode I. I slept almost through the whole thing. At the opening credits there was almost a standing ovation. At the end of the movie it was as quite as a church. Some guys back were uttering: “WHAT THE F*CK??”
But of course I want to talk about the CGI too. It is often said that it is bad special effects when you see that it is special effects. Same goes for CGI. I mean come on! Recycled chrome shaders from T2 are used for the Jedi spacecraft. It looks like the most basic any Blender newbie can do: A badly modelled Blackbird look-a-like with 100% reflection. It totaly looked out of place. In Episode 2 the CGI looked a bit better, but that is just it. That Dexter guy, you can clearly see that Obi Wan was only hugging air and the CG charcter was pasted over the film. Some moments were good though, like the battle in the asteroid field. That was good CGI. But what I noticed is the way the life actors interact with their surroundings, NOT! All that blue screening take a lot of the movie magic. It was really overdone. I would like to see life actors interact more with their surroundings like the old Star War movies.
And on a side note again: WHAT THE HELL WAS GEORGE LUCAS THINKING!?! The force is like this bacteria that lives in your cells? What about Yoda’s elequent monologue in Empire Strike back? Let us be frank, there are only 2 good Star Wars movie: 1. Empire Strikes Back 2. New Hope (only because of its groundbreaking work). The rest is worthless. Too much politics and political meetings, and the debunking of the whole Force phylosophy. I heard that Seth is good. I trully hope so because I think someone should shove a lightsaber up Lucas’s his @55!

Not if they are directly related to CG, they aren’t…and if the new star wars film isn’t directly related to CG, then god knows what is.

If the thread is mainly about the CG in the movie, sure. But that doesn’t seem like the point of this thread to me. Garbager didn’t mention the CG at all until he was asked about it, he was just saying that it’s a good movie.

I meant the same day. I live in the States. :slight_smile:

Then what did you think of the swordfight with Yoda and Dooku?

I haven’t watched it in a looong time, but it’s in an entirely different league because normally swordfighters, at least sane ones, spend 99% of the fight with two feet firmly planted on the ground.

I bashed the Obi-Wan/Maul fight for two reasons. First of all, there’s a lot of blade-attacking. When you’re fighting broadsword-style, the idea is to kill the other guy or at least remove a few limbs. Period. Kill or be killed, really. Kind of morbid but in all reality that’s how it is. To the flip side, something you often see in movie fights are guys swinging at the other guy’s blade - not positioning their swords in such a manner that if the swing were not parried, it would strike. That was the case with that fight. Obi-Wan often attacked Maul’s blade, not his person.

The second thing I noticed was that - and this is only an outcome of the spinning, twirling Jedi style - there were several longish pauses as Maul or Obi-Wan waited for the other to finish a flip or spin. In real combat, those would have been instant strikes, not pauses. I could count a dozen openings in the fight were one or the other easily could have been history. But, as I said, that’s a result of the fighting style Nick Gillard created - which legitimatizes everything. I don’t want to bash the fight’s timing for that reason (but the fight itself, like my paragraph above, is still fair game… :).

However, don’t get me wrong as saying that the movie stinks. It became unbelievable for me, but they still performed their jobs very well. I’ll be the first to say that fighting with that speed and agility is very difficult, speaking from experience. So I definitely give them credit for the excellent job they did in at least making it look good. If I wasn’t involved with some authentic medieval broadsword cinematography, I’d never have noticed.

Sorry, I tend to take a soapbox every chance I get. I’ll shut up now. Derailing the thread anyway.

I see Blade-attacking and pauses in movies all the time. But then again, there are a lot of classic movie mistakes that you see over and over. Some because it’s really difficult to avoid, like the fight you’re descibing, others because script writers need to find a new line of work.

BTW, not in all martial arts you keep both your feet on the ground at all times. In wushu (kung fu. Not really the same, but well…), you’re jumping and moving all the time when fighting with sticks or swords.

SPOILERS!!!

There is an exclamation mark in the opening scroll.

Anakin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader.

I’ve just returned from the world premiere and I must say it was FANTASTIC!!

The only problem was - it was waaaay too short.
I was wide-awake even at 2.30 in the night because it was so filled with action
I’m probably going to re-watch my 5-movie starwars collection again and again
until the abstinence goes away.

I won’t spoil it for you - but I can tell you that you’re in for a FEAST!

woohoo! If garbager recomends it it must be good… I hope it as least half as good as OOM :slight_smile:

I too, enjoyed it. I went last night (this morning?) and thought I’d seen the best special effects in a long time… a loooong time. (chews thoughtfully on a stick of grass)

The acting was still wooden; the exposition was done in too a haphazard manner (pictured George Lucas saying: “Okay, movie’s good, but we’ve got five minutes left and we’ve STILL got to explain how Chewbacca fits into this; how Anakin becomes Vader; who named the kids and why yada talks backwards… hell, I’m an independant film maker, if I want to break the rule about “show, don’t tell”, there’s the window: I’m throwing it out NOW.”)

but besides that - it delivered what I was expecting. I want an iguana.

Hey, what do you think? we do have some good french voice actors!
some…
:smiley:

Dani, who actually prefers Darth Vador’s dubbed voice… yes, it is possible!
arg, I think i’ll get the full collection on DVD once it’s out… I have the remastered edition of 4, 5, 6 but on VHS… a shame…