Jahshaka 2.0 RC2 Available

Ill try Jahshaka 2.0 RC 2 when they put out a Mac OS X version. I’ve looked at a couple older versions and it didn’t seem like there was much going on with it at the time. I couldn’t even load in video clips.

I decent open-source NLE for the Mac is HyperEdit AV from Arboretum.
http://www.arboretum.com/products/hyperengine-av/hav_main.html

I haven’t played with it much, because I’m still using iMovie. But it looks like it has more features than iMovie, for those of us who can’t run the latest Final Cut on our systems (no AGP slot).

I dunno, I just played with it a lil and the GUI seems the same and the functionallity seems the same but less. Hung up on me when trying to use the paint modual(wich I could not get to work). Right now, Jahshaka seems like 18 mb of dead weight. I am more anxious to delete it than anything eles, right now. Jahshaka… Hope it comes around one day. I’m kicking myself for not investing this time into using the very usable Blender sequence editor[kick kick kick].

Yeah, I keep forgetting about the Blender sequence editor. I’ve used it some but I prefer an editor that can mix the sound with the video, even if it is just two-track stereo. If Blender ever got that feature, I would surely use the sequence editor more often.

hmmm…I used to have a lot of problems with Jahshaka; mainly b/c it appeared to be so slow. Another user however indicated that it might help to use rivatuner to override the OpenGL setting of my NVIDIA card (from 2 to 1.5). Now it runs pretty smoothly. I have to say that the included effects are pretty good and fast (a lot faster than f.i. my effects in Premiere Pro).

New in RC2 is also the tracking module (at least for Windows)…had a play with it, and at least the tracking itself seems pretty ok. Can’t get it to work all the time though…still seems a bit buggy.

All in all I think it’s a step forward, but at the moment not a 100% reliable for me.

I tried it with breezy badger and it crashed when opening an ogg theora movie.

well I guess I’ll wait for the final version - or better for a bugfix version when done - if/when it gets into some of deb repos it will be treated by a mantainer I guess …

… will someone of the pioneers post tutorials in the meantime?

Pell wrote:

If Blender ever got that feature, I would surely use the sequence editor more often.

Blender has a sequence editor, and an audio editor. you can sync the 2 together and more. I havnt messed with it much, but it amazes me everytime I tinker with it. When I am ready to start tweaking around with sound, That would be my choice. You can do almost everything in Blender. I wouldnt doubt it if there were up and comming production houses with Blender as their main software…not to mention http://orange.blender.org/ .
Anyways Plop in a wav and see, I would bet you can even play the sound back in there. You can do panning and audio file edits( I think… I am vaguely remembering the old documentation)

intrr and his instinctive blender project were on that track - minus GPU acceleration.

I did some all-in-blender animations (up to 2002 … ) and it was faster to do it comared to transferring into an nle - but for effect work … I don’t know. It would rock if blender could use gpu …

Yeah, you can do all that. What I’m saying is that you can’t mix the sound with the video when you render your edit to a movie. You still have to use a separate program to do that, unless that’s changed recently. I haven’t used the sequencer in the latest version, but I don’t recall that being mentioned in the release notes.

I still may give the sequencer another go. I remember kind of liking the way it worked.

Jahshaka is a toy, bad designed and undefined, that’s it.

I don’t like being harsh with OpenSoftware, but Jahshaka it’s too many words and very poor result.

Don’t waste your time.

Jahshaka is not ALL bad. You’d have to admit that the features that it has is atleast luring; treating a video as a 3D object, multiple animations and import of .Obj files with the ability to export individual image sequences, avi and mpg files. I think it is usable for somethings already. but I feel ya when you speak of “All Words” kinda thing; I think it more or less inspires them to produce better, disapponting for everyone eles expecting the JahTool integration the company has been harping about for 5 years and have yet to show a rough draft of them. But, like I said, now that they are using Eclipse(seemingly everyone is jumping on the Eclipse band-wagon for development, like Macromedia and their “Platform” is built on Eclipse and they don’t even mention it…It will be massivly expensive also), Jashaka will or should be happening quicker now.

Jahshaka might become useful someday - but I think they are missing the basics.

For example, it’s still not possible to sort layers - you can see the buttons but they don’t work %| (Windows version, I don’t know about the others). And this is version 2… how can I composite material when I am not able to arrange it? I asked this question in the Jahshaka Artist Feedback Forum and have 135 views but no answer…

I don’t need cool 3D-Realtime effects, I just would love to work with a free, fast compositing/editing software - but as it is Open Source software, I think the developers will decide which way it will go.

tbh I’d like to see something small, simple to operate and with gpu acceleration - and which could be easily compiled with aggressive optimizations so it could run well and render fast on a less-than-a-supercomputer, possibly with old 5—FX card.

I’ve stayed out of this discussion until now. Mostly because my view will be so biased :wink: But I thought I’d mention that we plan to do the above in Positron. Final Cut Pro works fine on a 800Mhz G4 (I used one for two years at my video editing job). There is no reason why an opensource app can do the same.

I agree with the others. Jahshaka is all talk and no walk. I have yet to get the current version to survive for longer than five minutes on my computer. Stability is a big issue. There is no excuse for a video NLE crashing. Period. Crashing means lost work and that means unhappy customers who have to pay you more.

I look at what we have accomplished over the past few months with Positron. Just two guys working for 2-3 hours a couple days a week. And I shake my head at Jahshaka. Guys, be honest with your fans. Instead of saying “We are revamping the core graphics engine”. Tell them why, and explain to them what is taking so long. But if you need to, take extra time and do it right.

This is the very reason why I started Positron, because I was sick and tired waiting for Cinellera and Jashaka (and kino to some extent) to “Do it right”. Sure, our development may not be going as fast as we originally hoped. But Positron will not crash on you every ten minutes…

Anyway, enough of my biased rant…

Yeah, in the short time Positron has been going, a lot more seems to be happening. I’ll keep my eye on it for sure. I know this may sound dopey, but are ya gonna provide screen shots?[edit] Oh, btw, I could be wrong, but I thought earlier in the positron thread that a “windows” verson is out?[/edit]

Yeah, we really need to do that. I’ll try to get something up this weekend. But I’ll warn you all. So far I’ve taken the blender approach that everything should have a shortcut key, and that all should be encouraged to use them. We will have a “toolbox” menu, but as few buttons as possible. I’m planning to get two parts of the GUI fleshed out tomarrow (and tonight). I try to get screenshots up after that.

Actually, once I saw what was planned for Positron, I ditched my plans for buying a Windows video editor. I’m thinking I may save my video editing for Linux and Positron.

Looking forward to further installments.

Caleb

tbc++ made perfect sense in describing Jahshaka. I dig the application, but It has been 4 years from the time I first heard about it and downloaded it and absolutly nothing has changed and the JahTools is think are just a set of graphic markups on a hard drive somewhere. I’ll probably have time to learn C and build my own NLE and plugins for Positron before JahTools come out. Sucks because I left my music network in Oregon and we are looking for a way to produce music real time. I was thinking for now, trying UltraVNC, Debugmodes Frame server somehow and or Blender-Verse release’s Audio sequencer. And Just using google’s Hello for chat…lol