It sort of works… But it doesn’t get the character order correct - it tries to write it left to right, which means the characters then get connected together wrongly… Oh well - close but no cigar!
Just for the record:
I used Blender 2.41 for Python 2.3 on a Mac OS X 10.4
I used a font called “nesf2.ttf” (the first font I tried “Geeza Pro” didn’t work - I guess it doesn’t like unicode).
I saved the text into a text (txt) file using Unicode UTF-8.
Then in Blender -
I added a new text object, deleted the default text that appears, and went to the editing button (F9), on the Font tab, I clicked “Load”, and loaded my font (had to search a bit using Spotlight, as my fonts are littered i several different places), the nesf2.ttf font was in /System/Library
Then clicked on the “Insert Text” button, and there it was - albeit not quite right.