Hi there all!
Have been lurking around the forum the past weeks, but this is my first post. I just started playing around in Blender (2.33a) some weeks ago and last weekend I decided I’d start my first project. Did the final render today and figured I might aswell post it on the board (to contribute to the lovely Blender scene). It’s not more than fair since I’ve been hanging around here myself for the past two weeks soaking up vital information.
It is a labor unit from the Patlabor movie(s).
I actually didn’t use pictures from the movie as reference but rather photographs of a toy I Googled (http://shannon.icu.ac.kr/~taky/plamodel/mgingram.html).
I’m actually not an artist (I probably have more in common with the people developing this excellent software than the ones using it, since I’m an software engineer) at all so I’m not surprised at all if some of you “veterans” find error. I’m aware that it is not 100% true to the reference, but that is itentional (cough me being lazy). Some feedback would be nice (be gentle on the crits though since I’m a newbie )
The reason that I didn’t post this in the WIP forum earlier is because I didn’t know if I were going to finish it ;).
Model time: don’t really know, but I’ve been working on it of an on for three or four days when I was feeling motivated.
Render time: almost 3h. AO(12 samples) + 8 OSA. Some materials use Ray-transparancy and/or Ray-mirror effects. Face count; about 450k with 4th level subsurf.
I can post some other shots from different angles and perhaps some wires if anyone is interested.
Burre signing off!