Joan of arc tutorial help

I am having ago at the Joan of Arc tutorial found at http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.asp

I have got to the point of having 1/2 a body, 1/2 a head and an ear and am starting the assembly step. The tutorial is not meant specifically for Blender, so I am wondering how to do the fifth step in order to attach the ear to the head.

What is the best way to attach the ear to the head?

Question 2: Can I have a poly with greater than 4 vertices? (Or do I need to make a triangle and a quad if I have 5 vertices to make into a face for example).

Question 3: Once I have assembled the ear onto the head and the half head onto the half body, what is the best way to duplicate the half to make a whole body?

What is the best way to attach the ear to the head?

Select 2 vertices (one of the head and on of the ear), Wkey/merge vertex. Repeat with all the remaining vertices. Afterward, move the vertices and the ear around to position it correctly.

Question 2: Can I have a poly with greater than 4 vertices? (Or do I need to make a triangle and a quad if I have 5 vertices to make into a face for example).

Yes, but why using fake Ngons? Keep it at a level where you only see quads and triangles. That way it give more information to how you should tweak your model (eleminate tris, correct flow of edge loops, merging tris into quads etc.)

Question 3: Once I have assembled the ear onto the head and the half head onto the half body, what is the best way to duplicate the half to make a whole body?

Add mirror modifier (in the stacks tabs in the edit buttons screen)
You can keep on modelling in mirror mode. After you’re finished, just apply the mirror modifier.

Thanks toontje

Merging vertices, not a problem.

Is there a button or short-key to eliminate tris. I know I can use Alt-J to change tris into quads. However, is it possible to remove triangles from the mesh altogether. Not sure I would necessarily want to, but just wondered.

I have never heard of how to “correct flow to edge loops”. I looked it up on the forum and found you helped someone else with a similar problem and you said the following when talking about using the knife tool….

Most of the time you’ll end up with ugly triangles at the beginning and end of the cut. Use here Alt+j to merge triangles into quads, use spin edge to correct the flow of the loops. If you get a strange geometry when spinning an edge, that means that you have 2 quads that are share 2 edges, thus making them look like strange triangles. You should correct this.

Still not quite sure what you mean. Can you explain?

Another question… When making a complex model, such as a human, should I try and make everything out of one object or multiple objects. Particularly with the head. Should I make the eyes as separate parts of the same mesh, separate objects altogether.

Thanks again.

J

You can not totally eliminate triangles,Quads are even made of triangles the centre line between the two triangles is not shown and is then treated as one face this can been seen if on a quad you grab a corner vert and drag it away from the face. Render and the triangle will be visable.

Edge rotation http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/PartII/Edge_and_Face_Tools#Rotate_Edge_CW.2FRotate_Edge_CCW
Most of the time i would expect things need to be modeled as there are in real life. For example on the head the nose blends smoothly into the face so would need to be the same mesh but our eyes are not directly attached to our skin so model them as seperate items.

Thanks for the help. If I can work out how, I will post an image of this person I have been working on for a few days.

Cheers[/img]

To explain edgeloops, I think you should check out the new site : http://www.subdivisionmodeling.com first. Read the primer. I’m not ditching you here. I will explain my views in more detail later on. But for now I shall give a quick answer.

A human mesh could be or rather should one object. Except for the eyeball, these should be a seperate object from the mesh. I said it should, because that is the way to do it if you want to animate the eyes. That counts too for the teeth. But for still pictures, the whole shabang is just one mesh. But if you are modelling the clothes too, it is better to make them into a seperate object too, even if you are making a still picture, because it is easier to edit that way, moving it to other layers etc.

Yes, there is a way to convert all triangles in quads: select all (maybe even select all triangles) and hit Alt+J. Not the very best result (try it on a iso sphere)