Joining 2 meshes causes subdivisions to change

Hey guys,

Firstly this is my 1st post, been using Blender for about 2 weeks and i’m loving it, amazing program.
BUT here’s my problem.

I’m trying to make a sword, got the blade and the hilt.

• In object mode (obviously) I have my blade with View 1 under subdivisions so its smooth (just the way I want it)
  • The hilt I wanted blocky…so it has no subdivisions (View 0)

Now the problem, I need to join them so I can add/remove faces and make it look seamless right?
But when I select the hilt and Shift right-click the blade and press (to select them both) and press Ctrl-J (to join) the hilt
takes on the properties of the blade (which is View 1) and I don’t want a smoother hilt…I want it blocky.

Also when I 1st select the blade then the hilt and join them it takes on the properties of the hilt (view 0) so now my blade is blocky…

In a nutshell I am unable to keep their respective pre-joined properties when I want to join them…What am I doing wrong, please help me!!! :slight_smile:
Hope this all makes sense! ^^

Thanks guys!

Oliver

In a nutshell I am unable to keep their respective pre-joined properties when I want to join them…What am I doing wrong
Nothing, what you descibe is the correct behaviour.

The subsurf modifier applies to the whole object, you can’t have different levels for different faces.
Ctrl+J joins selected objects TO THE active object (the last object selected). Therefore the joined object will inherit the modifier properties of the active object. If you don’t want this, apply the modifiers before joining.

By “Apply” you mean the actual APPLY button, within the modifier before joining them?