Joining Hollywood

with all the stuff happening with the music and film industry today, do you want to join the Hollywood machine?

developing someone else’s dream has never appealed to me much.

Go Bollywood!

What stuff are you refering to?

In which position? As a Grip, Technician, Cameraman, Writer, 3D Artist? There are plenty of other production houses around the world. Hollywood is just the most powerful. You would have a better chance proving yourself on something smaller than jumping head first into the Lion’s Den.

Remember it’s all about Content nowdays. Hollywood ain’t about movie scripts, character development or plots anymore, it’s all about Content. The Corporations have taken over, might as well as sell your soul to the devil.:slight_smile:

And if you want to declare yourself a “Content Producer” nowdays, just remember this and it will cheer you up: Movies are the only thing you can sell and yet STILL legally own. Ain’t no wonder US Gov is pushing for copyright protection with every country it signs a World Trade agreement with.:slight_smile:

My main issue are the lawyers… but I also don’t appreciate the totem pole. You have extremely talented actors working on a film next to super stars who can’t act at all… and getting paid 5% as much. You have strikes like that the writers guild is currently threatening. If you are a writer and you scab - then you’re black listed. I guess I don’t like the evils of Hollywood… nor do I want to live in the heat of California.

I admit, this is a loaded subject, but you guys are taking it well. I knew you would find it interesting. Last time I was here regularly, something I said caused a bunch of people to blast Hollywood.

The big budgets will remain for the foreseeable future, but we as independent film makers, have something they don’t - creative ideas. We don’t make shit we think the most people will like. We make what we want to see. For that, pat yourself on the back.

damit thats what i just game to post into this thread! :frowning:

I suppose I’m a little out of touch with Hollywood these days, as I really don’t watch too many movies that come out of there. The only ones I enjoy are the ones with a bit of an alternative message in the end. I really liked Children of Men, yet that was based on a book. I think some production companies produce better stuff than others. Generally Warner Brothers comes out with movies that I enjoy, and that are a bit different. V for Vendetta, The Matrix… Paramount is also ok I think.

Buuut, just because they produce certain movies that are challenging doesn’t mean that it’s there own philosophy that they’re putting forward. They’re still out to make money in the end.

I honestly don’t know too much about how Hollywood works, though I can imagine. I have a problem with people that hold wealth in high esteem, and feel that I could never live in a society where decadence is treasured so highly. I could never watch the Academy Awards, for all the back-patting and admiration of insanely expensive dresses. All that is rather much of a charade in my eyes.

In the end, it’s the spirit of a place or group of people that for me would determine if I would want to be around them. Of course, I would never make it in Hollywood, because I for one most likely don’t have the kind of talent they’re looking for… The Hollywood dream was for someone who is practically nobody to be able to come in with some spirit and crazy ideas and create something wonderful out of it. I don’t know if that sort of dream still exists? Maybe that’s a good premise to build a movie script on actually. Hehe.

I’ve been watching a lot of the Star Trek Generations episodes recently, and for me they’re quite inspiring, carrying a good message, and the actors are really quite cool. But sometimes I get the feeling that actors are so used to playing another character that they don’t necessarily have a character of their own. Of course, that’s most likely completely wrong, but that’s the weird thing… All these actors that are worshipped by their fans… Nobody knows what the REAL person is like underneath all that Hollywood flair…

Perhaps a new way of making movies is needed. Let’s see how A Swarm of Angels and other Open Content films go… I really do like the idea of investing in the film before it’s made, and then when it’s released, having it licensed with Creative Commons… Of course, you’ll never come near the big budgets of Hollywood… But maybe that’s part of the problem with Hollywood, is that in order for a film to be successful, you have to throw tonnes of money at it. It’s almost a monopoly on the attention of people. Let’s not even start on the MPAA and its treatment of certain independent film-makers…

I guess the audience itself has almost come to expect ground breaking visual effects and the like. But deep down, are there some truly strong stories with messages coming out of Hollywood? Even movies like Blood Diamond failed to hit home. Syriana was a good movie when it came down to delivering a message… There are a handful out there.

Do movies that do not come from big production houses automatically have to fight to get attention? They don’t have the advertising budgets and the big names behind them, even if they have better stories and premises and acting, they may never even be heard of by the public at large…

What’s our part to play in it all? Perhaps we as creative thinkers need to work harder and start taking true advantage of the web and its ease of distribution and start making a name for ourselves… It’s begun on a certain level. We have Elephants Dream and soon to come Project Peach… But it could go so much further.

Well, I didn’t originally intend to carry on like that, just a stream of thought I guess.

So the point. Why join Hollywood when we can create something ourselves, something, in essence, better, more true to the spirit of the software we use and the community that we are part of. Of course it’s not for all of us. But if even 5% of this community would seriously get together and work on something, then I’m sure we could produce something memorable… If nothing else, you could put it on your CV when you apply for that Hollywood job. :rolleyes:

We’re already a small part of Peach in a way, by pre-ordering and giving support. But there really is not that much discussion about it on the forums. It’s still mainly the project of the guys in Amsterdam. The script for example, is a closed script. Anyway, Peach is great, but I really do think we need something of our own. It doesn’t have to be big. Even something like the weekend challenges are a start. But it’s not collaborative. We need to start collaborating more on projects I think…

Anyway, I’ve diverged a fair bit from the topic at hand, but that’s my natural response when it comes to the question of joining Hollywood.

I killed it didn’t I?

Note to self: Cut down on the monologues

It’s not that bad. I’ve been to L.A. during summer/fall and the temperature was pleasant.

Of course, with the arctic ice cap melting away L.A. will be underwater in a couple years, but that’s another story.

Uhm, what are we making that we should be patting ourselves on the back for? There’s only Peach and Orange, which only happened because Ton has a “big” budget of a different sort - the celebrity and media platform he has gained through being the chief developer of Blender.

Hollywood has tons of people with creative ideas. They don’t make better movies because the money people, understandably, want as much of a guarantee that they’ll get their money back, and maybe make a profit, as possible. If you were putting millions of dollars into a film, into anything, you’d feel the same way. So Hollywood has to look for a sure thing, and tune it down to a PG-13 level of violence and intelligence to reach the broadest audience possible.

I guess it is possible, but doing 3D people will watch (i.e. big budget Hollywood quality) is a tremendous amount of work. I’ve been running the Extinction Level Event movie project for over a year, and while I’ve probably had 20 3D people pass through, only aws357 has been a steady contributor. Two other guys have made significant contributions, and that’s it.

I don’t know what more it would take to get good 3D people on board and contributing steadily. We’ve got good concept art, a good musician, a good Open Business guy. We’ve got loads of art done and a trailer that is rocking (though unfinished). I plan to post the unfinished trailer before long and make another call for talent (with an emphasis on talent). Maybe the project is far enough along now to attract the people it needs and keep them. Even if it does, the amount of work it’s taken to get to the point where XTIN project is - is extremely prohibitive.

I highly doubt that California will be submerged in water any time soon. Which a huge population and rich budget like theirs, you’ll probably see something like the Dutch Delta Works be built to hold the waters back.

I understand your last paragraph. It makes sense for a giant industry I suppose. Hollywood will always be Hollywood.

You may have killed it for everyone else but reading your post woke me up:eek:

I once participated in an attempt to produce an animation using the Anim8or program. I volunteered as a modeler. I spent weeks perfecting a model of Han Solo and Chewbacca. This; on a 3D program that does not support fur:eek: It was for nothing. Over time, endless modeling took the place of storyboarding, scene development and rendering. A problem developed with some modelers suddenly not wanting to share their models which would have made it impossible to get everything together into rendered scenes. I attribute that to the youth of the original organizer and the failure to stay focused on getting to an end result. There was also a huge disparity of skill between various modelers so that, had the project progressed, I believe it would have been an embarrassment anyway.

From forum threads, I see that similar past Blender projects have met the same fate.

I believe the biggest problem is maintaining motivation. Amateurs simply don’t have a viable substitute for money. Also, a community project is no place to start learning Blender but often attracts those wanting to use it as a learning experience. That leads back to the original problem of motivation and how to attract and hold a serious core of storytellers, artists, modelers, animators, actors, and someone with the persistence, focus and will to organize and push a project to completion without pissing off or discouraging those volunteers.

I would love to see something along this line actually succeed. I would like to be a part of such a project as a modeler or animator provided the story is one I could believe in as genuinely entertaining. Genres I would be attracted to;
Fantasy; charm, sparkle, or; dark, atmospheric, strong characterization.
War; fast action, extreme camera angles, outdoor scenery, epic views
Western; indoor atmosphere, characterization, outdoor scenery
Humor; atmosphere, characterization, snappy dialog

Giant online volunteer projects are the hardest to maintain. If I were to start such a project, it would be small scale, with only about three or four people I knew well.

Not at all dude :slight_smile:

The other day I saw on TV that a few (more and more) A class Hollywood actors are starting to go for independant films (and I’d assume they’re getting paid less for those). George Clooney and Brad Pitt comes to mind.

Dunno if this is relevant to the discussion :slight_smile:

Problem is, money makes the world go round. If I could get paid several million for one Hollywood movie, why would I prefer to act for a small salary in an independant film?
Sure some extremely wealthy actors, like Brad Pitt, might enjoy playing in some independant movies, simply cause they really don’t need more money. Frankly, I find it hard to blame any individual who opts to act in a multi million dollar movie. Just think what that does for you for the rest of your life…

Those indy film roles can go a long way towards increasing your respectability as an actor, and if it leads to an Oscar it won’t hurt the bank account later. Halle Berry is the only african-american to get an Academy Award for Best Actress. She got it for Monster’s Ball, not X-Men.

For a long time, it’s been a goal of mine to live my life and die without ever setting foot in LA. If I have to go there, it will be with a bomb strapped to my chest.

No, through the use of the internet and free software, I’d like to REPLACE the Hollywood machine.

(ok, i can dream, eh?)

I just recently moved to San Francisco, and its’ been interesting. ILM’s new building is a mile or so from my house, Pixar is maybe 7 miles off I think, and a couple of smaller places are around here too. And yet what’s got me excited about film is the possibility the web brings to allow quality (theoretically at least) to surface regardless of cost invested in a project. I can compete with the latest Pixar short (and lose, but I can go for it) online in a way I never could before.
But like someone else said, the motivation and endurance needed to keep going on a project, even a short one, is enormous. I have an eight and a half minute animation that is final rendered and edited. It’s been done for a month and a half, except for the audio. And I am having a terrible time getting the audio done because atfer a year working on this thing I just don’t have the motivation I once did, even though I am so close to being done.