Joining object before append?

(MarijnH) #1

Say you have an object in file A that you want in file B. So far the only way I have found for this is to append the object into file B. But when the object consists of a large number of pieces, or has bones or other stuff related to it, I can not seem to append these as a whole - I have to append them all separately, which is annoying. A similar problem comes up when moving objects consisting of multiple parts, but there it can be solved by giving them a common parent.

For the importing problem I resort to joining the objects together when possible. This has some problems though…

• It becomes more of a chore to move parts separately, not really a big deal.
  • It does not seem possible to have parts of an object subsurfed, but not other parts, this is annoying but can be solved by coverting a subsurfed mesh to a more detailed mesh.
  • You can not join meshes and bones (obviously), so bones will always have to be imported separately, losing the parent relationship.

I am hoping that I’ve missed some features that solve some of these. Any remarks on what I am doing wrong are welcome :stuck_out_tongue:

(Fligh) #2

When you append more than 1 item it’s called a Library. So you get to the “Objects” library and Shft-RMB-select the objects you want to append (you can drag up or down too) and then, when all the entries are blue hit “Load Library” at the top (or Enter).

%<

(MarijnH) #3

Hey, it works! Thank you :stuck_out_tongue: