Joining or Parenting?

I have 3 objects:

• window casing
• window frame
• window glass

I want to group them as one object but still be able to edit their materials individually. So I am stumped as to whether it’s better to “Parent” the objects or “Join” the objects.

What I have been doing is to creating an “Empty” and naming it WINDOW, then selecting the Casing, Frame and Glass, and then the WINDOW Empty last and “Parenting” them together. After I’ve done this for all objects I create an “Empty” and name it “HOUSE”, then I select all of my parented objects and the “House” empty last, then all of the files are under one umbrella so to speak named “HOUSE”.

pg

You can join the objects.
Materials are , by default affecting to Data (Mesh Faces). So you probably don’t tweak them to Object.

You can reassign a material on a face in edit mode.

So if you are not planning to export data or programming an app, you can keep it simple in Blender.

Sorry, that’s not what I meant. I want to be able to “Append” the file to another Blender file, but it’s not working unless I select all of the objects “individually” and that is no good. :frowning:

I have many objects and I want to group them as one object but still be able to edit their materials individually. So I am stumped as to whether it’s better to “Parent” the objects or “Join” the objects.

What I have been doing is to creating an “Empty” and naming it WINDOW, then selecting the Casing, Frame and Glass, and then the WINDOW Empty last and “Parenting” them together. After I’ve done this for all objects I create an “Empty” and name it “HOUSE”, then I select all of my parented objects and the “House” empty last, then all of the files are under one umbrella so to speak named “HOUSE”.

Problem
The problem I have with this method is that when I select the “HOUSE” empty from the Outliner I can move it if I select the Empty, but when I try to append the HOUSE to a different file I have to select “ALL” of the objects separately?

I want to use “Parenting” to Group all of my objects, but how do I “Append” the file so it includes all of it’s children?

HOUSE (Empty)
DOORS (Empty)
• Door_1
• Door_2
ROOF (Empty)
• Roof Base
• Roof Metal
WINDOWS (Empty)
• Window Casing
• Window Frame
• Window Glass

pg

if you want to append
create a group

Ctrl G
then append the group to a new file

Sounds like it might be easier to put them on different layers

Thanks Waylow. I tried Grouping the objects but then I couldn’t move them all at one time in the 3D Viewport because they remained as separate objects. Any ideas on how to do this?

I’d really like to “parent” the objects then be able to somehow append the parented object with all of the children but so far I can’t get this to work.

pg

Use Shift+G to select all the objects of a group then move them.

Thanks Richard. I will give that a try. :slight_smile:

pg