Joining vertices

How do I join vertices and add faces and stuff

ctrl m for merge points (verts) and f for create face (select 3 or 4 verts to create the face from)…

i dont know the shortcut for “stuff” though…

you could also select two vertices only and press f to make an edge

Merge is Alt- M. Shift - F for more vertices to make faces. Alt - F for Beauty fill [tries to neaten it out]…

I’ve never gotten anything to happen with Alt-F (beauty fill). I’ve tried lines of naked verts, planes with holes, etc.

When would you use it?

I’ve never gotten anything to happen with Alt-F (beauty fill). I’ve tried lines of naked verts, planes with holes, etc.

When would you use it?

When you join four vertices it’s controlled and predictable. Generally we’re advised to avoid 3 vertices and triangles because they create problems with sub-surf. When you join a group of vertices with Shift-F a rather messy collection of faces is normally the result. Alt-F is just a tad neater…

For example. Monkey mesh and sub-surf. Cut it in half and delete vertices. Select Non-manifold = the open edges. Shift-F to close. Set smooth and have a look at it in Object mode. Alt-F the select and look at it again. Works more predictably with no organic forms, but does give different results. If it helps, use it. :-?

EDIT: B key and with MMB drag around Monkeys eyes to deselect them - they’re also non-manifold. The effect only becomes apparent after the set-smooth button has been pushed. The meshes do no update automatically.

oh sorry, Alt-M :wink: