Jpg animation for Old beginner

Hi,

I’m an old beginner to Blender, and can see it is a brilliant program, and would love to learn it all, but old brain cells won’t work like that.

50 years ago, I made a flip book animation, and would like to do similar with blender. My first project is to make a spinning globe with a satellite going round it. I would like to make individual frames on paper, convert them to jpgs and animate them in blender.

Can anyone talk me through it please.

Cheers, Camerart.

You need a way to convert your paper into an image file. Typically this is done with a flatbed scanner or simply take pictures of the paper with a digital camera. Use a tripod and the self timer on the camera to eliminate vibrating the camera while shooting. Once you have all the digital images in a folder you will need to re-name them so they have a common prefix and a numeric suffix that represents when in time that particular image should appear. (myPicture_0001.jpg, myPicture_0002.jpg…etc). You will also need to make sure that they are all the same exact size (in width and height). This is called an image sequence and Blender’s texture system will be able to detect the sequence and render it over time.

In your case, you might want two or three folders. One for just a spinning globe sequence, one for the satellite sequence, and a third folder for the background.

Once you have an image sequence you can use a handy script called Images To Planes to automatically generate a plane that will match the proportions of the image. Images to Planes is part of Blender’s distribution but may be turned off by default, as of 2.65. So you will need to activate the AddOn under User Preferences. Click the AddOn TAB along the top of the User Preferences dialog and type Image in the search field. Activate the AddOn and close the User Preferences.

Now visit the menu item File/Import and Images To Planes should appear in the list. Use it to import a single image from your image sequence.

Once the script is done there should be a new plane in your scene located at world origin. The default Cube can obscure this plane so make sure to hide or delete it before using Images To Planes. Not only do you have a new plane in your scene, the plane has a material applied to it that is linked directly to the image you selected. You are almost there… All you have to do now is to change the texture setting from Single Image to Image Sequence and set the frame count for the sequence. Enable Auto Refresh and when you move the timeline you should see the image sequence update in the material preview. Right below Auto Refresh is the Cyclic checkbox. Activate that and your image sequence will loop.

At this point it is simply a matter of positioning the camera over the plane and light it as you see fit. You can stack planes in the Z-dimension, like old-time cels, to do layer based animation. (i.e. foreground, midground and background). Generate Depth Of Field in the compositor to take the camera look even further.