Just 20fps?

Hi everybody!

Sitting here right in front of my PC, I’m doing a small Arkanoid clone with Blender 2.25 and 2.33. What I’m askin’ now is : I got a very small scene with about 100 objects and about 2000 vertices and the framerate hangs below 25 frames per second, mostly I get only about 20. Is this OK? Is the performance of the Blender Engine so slow, or am I doing something wrong?

I’ve tested it with Blender 2.25 and 2.33 as mentioned. The same result when I write a dynamic runtime and run it as a standalone. 20fps at a resolution of 1024x768.

My system is a P4-3GHz(HT) on Asus P4P800SE with 512MB RAM and a Geforce FX5600XT with 128MB. The Ogre demos and 3D Mark 2001 give me framerates higher than 60 and my OpenGL subsystem is running fine.

What goes wrong?

Any Ideas?

GreetZ

ReSeT

It’s the object count that’s the problem. The game engine is very poor at dealing with large numbers of objects. Try joining some of them together to reduce the overall number and you should get a noticable performance boost.

Damn, the answering time in this forum is so fast, you can’t compare to any other forum. :slight_smile:

is very poor at dealing with large numbers of objects. Try joining some of them together

That’s actually the problem, 80 of those 100 objects are blocks , with logic bricks assigned, to be shot by the player. Unfortunately I can’t join them, because of the logic bricks.

Seems, that I’ve to live with that framerate.

Thank you for answering.

Unless you’re worried about keeping it a secret you should post your blend. Maybe someone can spot other ways you might increase your framerate.

jrt.

That game would work fine on this computer. Maybe you need a better pc?

Try actually reading his specs, which he gave in his first post. How much faster does it get R2? Do you have some kind of networked supercomputer? If so, please share.

Try actually reading his specs, which he gave in his first post. How much faster does it get R2? Do you have some kind of networked supercomputer? If so, please share.[/quote]

:expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless: I didn’t read them. :expressionless: :expressionless: :expressionless:

That game would work fine on this computer. Maybe you need a better pc?

I have to admit, I wasn’t sure how to answer this. Fortunaltely shbaz was so kind to do it, lol. :wink:

In addition to my problem: Seems that the Blender Engine has some problems with large z-buffers. I removed some of the bigger objects farther away from the camera and got now 30fps. This should be enough.

I’m not going to share this blend, because there’s some copyright protected stuff in it. But I’ll share the game when it’s finished.