just a question about a current event

Ok, before I ask what I’m about to ask I want everyone to know that I’m not trying to start any kind of debate or being paranoid or what not. Just a question.

Its just recently dawned on me that Autodesk (makers od 3D Studio Max) have just bought Softimage/XSI. Or so thats what their website says.
Now if anybody recall’s, a similar even took place with a company called Alias. They’re signature software product was a similar piece called MAYA, I’m sure your all familiar with it. And long and behold the culprit was good old Autodesk. God I hate that word.

Anyways,… seeing as how they’ve now swallowed up both their commercial competitors (remember, just a question out of sheer curiosity) they wont try to come after Blender next will they? I mean I know blender is freeware under GPU license and is built and maintained by the great and honorable comminity of artists and programmers who use it. But I dunno, its just starting to scare me that this is happening and if by some odd circumstance it were to happen to blender I would be “how you say” VERY Pissed. Because then blender would probably cost lots of money that I dont have. That would make me cry :frowning:

So just to put me at piece of mine is blender safe from the tyranny of Autodesk?

Well first of all, I think Autodesk only peers into the depths of commercial software with their evil eyes when looking to corrupt the interface of many great applications. Blender is not commercial, so we fall below their watch towers.

That’s just what I think.

Also, the Blender Organization would have to agree to sell Blender. They won’t do that. (at least I think
they won’t). It would just ruin everything they have started. They are a prime example that open source software can be great (I would say “better”, but that is my bias).

And also, do you think this forum would let them do that? I could see some huge protests.

Just a thought, what if blender was bought by Autodesk, then bought back by the Blender Organization after it had been tweaked with all the features Autodesk has up it’s sleeve? (of course the interface would be trashed and replaced with the Blender version) (and I know that could never happen)

i would think that Blender in it’s current incarnation is of no interest whatsoever to autodesk. Seriously, IDK why people get so worried about this - they’re not an evil corporation, they (like all companies in the entire world) need to make money.

Blender is not a competitor for Autodesk - Blender doesn’t operate in anywhere like the same volume of professional markets (read: people with the money to pay for expensive software) as Maya or Max or XSI. Seriously, how many hobbyists/casual users do you think that any of the “Big Four” have?

There would be no profit in buying blender as it is already free and OPEN SOURCE - meaning that the source code must be on thousands of computers all over the world. Also, the amount of individual contributors to Blender source code is just mind-boggling. getting them all to sign agreements to hand over what amounts to a labour of love is something which i can’t see happening.

If the source became closed again, you would just have to continue the development from the latest open-source version. In other words, nothing would change.

The only reason for buying blender’s license is to include proprietary code without the need to provide the source of the modifications performed by the buyer.

There would be no profit in buying blender as it is already free and OPEN SOURCE - meaning that the source code must be on thousands of computers all over the world. Also, the amount of individual contributors to Blender source code is just mind-boggling. getting them all to sign agreements to hand over what amounts to a labour of love is something which i can’t see happening.

Just what I keep saying, everyone who ever touched the source code would have to agree, so if you really want to make sure it won’t go anywhere, get into the code. I am going to try myself some time, because I’m going to learn Python, so why no? :smiley: As long as all of the many who have touched this code are set on keeping it open-source, we can have Blender to ourselves! So my point is “the more, the merrier” because that’s more people Autodesk would have to get to agree!:D:D:D:D:D:D I think Blender is in perfectly safe hands!

The worst thing I can think of is Autodesk stealing blender code and labeling it a “plug-in” to avoid the open source license. Would that work?

@purplemint. I suppose there is a possibility it could be pulled off. Imagine the debates that would happen on this forum should that occur.

Well, that could happen (although why they’d want to is another question entirely), seeing as it’s open source. There’s nothing to steal. It belongs to everyone. As long as:

the code was credited as open source
the source code was provided with the plugin
a copy of the ?GNU license (correct name?) was included with the plugin

Then where would the problem be?

There are many, many open source plugins for countless pro applications.