Just another sculptris sculpt - macho monkey

Seems kinda racist. Better hope the NAACP doesn’t see it.

Wow, really awesome! I love his expression, and great message :smiley:

racist or not, it is superb

Is scuptris still going to be around since I read Pixologic picked up the developer?

<- thinks its racist

make it albino

What’s so racist about a balding monkey?

This is a great example of what Sculptris can do. Great work, excellent software. Let’s just hope that Pixologic won’t ruin it.

Really dont understand where is the racism… o_O?

monkey eats banana and this moneky has a banana… mmmm

roofoo. I have no idea what is racist in this monkey. You are to sensitive IMO. If you read what I wrote, you wold know that I got inspired by this:
http://sixers4guidos.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/abbronzatura.jpg
Anyway thanks guys for commnets.

I think it seems racists to so many people because of the skin tone and reference to hip-hop culture combined with the caricature of a monkey (an extremely common racist association).

While, perhaps, not your intention, it is the work that is “insensitive,” not the other way around.

Though I can say with certainty that this comment and others will only vindicate your creation of this work, so I will end with:

Nice job, poor subject.

I suppose it would be different if designed by a black artist? And thus the damage of trying to be PC raises its ugly head. When, if ever, will we be able to to appreciate art for the sake of art and no longer fear reprisal for the images presented? When I first saw it, I thought “this is astounding”, and through the subjective nature of art and one’s own feelings, some people have chosen to apply their own personal feelings upon someone else’s work and have destroyed their sense of accomplishment at a job well done. It’s time we get past the fear of racism in order to end it.

Fantastic work on this.

It’s interesting you’d think that.

I gotta go with roofoo, and it ain’t bein’ PC, it’s seeing characteristics in the sculpt (the face and features, not the accessories) that are all too close to the kind of hateful racial caricatures that were once far too common. That coupled with the reference to street fashion pushes this beyond a snicker and into a slur.

It’s time we get past the fear of racism in order to end it.

Well spoken!

I think, that any given image can be offensive if you (as viewer) make it offensive. Its a model of a hip-hop monkey! Not a caricature of a black person. I honestly don’t think you should read anything into the image. Instead you should just enjoy the good workmanship that this hip-hop monkey is.

@ropsta Yeah, it usually works out that way. Things usually change from “that’s so wrong” to “oh, well then that’s okay as long as he did it.” or “why would you do something like that?”

@chipmasque Not saying that you’re wrong, but I’m saying that people can perpetuate racism and the perception of a racist scheme by its very defense for good, by defining something as wrong, when in actuality it may not have been its intent. Sometimes people do things because they think it is cool, and not because they’re thinking about the implications of the work at hand. Those things are brought forth by those who are either sensitive or offended, which art can be that way. Any major gallery has some form of offensive image within it, I can point to at least 2 in the Nelson Atkins Museum in Kansas City, MO and 1-3 at the Josalyn Art Museum in Omaha, for some of the larger venues, and there are even more in the private galleries, one of which was filled with photos of nude, semi-nude, people all containing questionable content and subject matter, and where ever you walk down the strip in Las Vegas, there is something mildly offensive on display, yet it is the freedom of expression that keeps them on the walls and in the streets, and the ability of the observer to separate themselves from the initial meaning of the work for and look at the art, if not at the meaning, then the process and the final outcome of the work as a whole, This applies to all art, such as visual, musical, performing, etc. Plain and simply it is going to be offensive for some, but not all, and others will follow suit in opinion even if it is not their own. It is the way it has always been and always will be, and that’s what makes great art. The stuff that gets you to stop and think, or even feel funny or offended inside has done its job.

Well I’m done with this subject, and I still think its a great work.

The message… That’s what I’m dying to know. I have a theory and I dont like what it could be. Maybe I shouldnt jump to conclusions, but this seems a bit racially inappropriate. But, that’s just me. Anyway, nice details.

stfu already, geez…

It’s an awesome character, are you going to give him some pants? It looks so incomplete, and that starburst render is just begging to be finished. Fantastic materials and really nice style

hmm… complete with a prison outfit too… Sussane frowns at this -Way to soil blender, buddy. edit: Sussane will overlook this if you animate him/her playing an electric guitar with my favorite instrumental from doom :smiley: e1m8 :slight_smile: -sorry, but that guy’s got a spark in his eye -you gotta make banana prime do something :smiley:

Nothing wrong with a bit of casual racism*. At least its preferable to vicarious outrage. Nothing worse than being offended on behalf of someone else.

edit:*I mean look at Family Guy, full of racist jokes. Wouldn’t be half the show it is if it had to worry about offending people.

Its an interesting skin shader, I’ve never seen anyone multiply a shadeless material with the colour.
Can I ask why you use it/ what effect it produces?

Traumatizn, so you want to wire, I presume? Here it is:

Basically I used edge crease to make it sharper. Distortion in place where banana have ring is due to my bad modeling ;).
blengine, I wasn’t planning to add pants, but now when you mentioned it may be good idea.
tmcthree - about shader it gives same results in here as if you simply put texture in sss material. It’s done this way, because before I usually described basic character color with sssMaterial, and then multiplied by texture that have more color variation. But now I include basic color in texture, so there in no need to make separate material for texture. (now when I think about this I could use just texture blending mode in texture palette).

Anyway I uploaded material, with examples in this thread:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=198835
Skin is in bottom of fifth post. Just apply it to your mesh with new bump, and texture color. And post processing in blend file is bad so I would disable it for better results.