Just another set smooth problem

I was making a missile when a test render came up with a problem that has been bugging me for several days now. Where the warhead/guidance housing connects with the engine body it has a strange effect that almost looks like there are multiple materials. I tried auto smoothing, checked the normals, and messed with the lighting but nothing seems to fix it.

Attachments

Maybe its just me, but I can’t see you problem.
The faces of your mesh are facing in different directions, which, as far as I can tell, explains the way your object render.
FYI: With all vertex selected in edit mode, press Ctrl+N to recalculate normals.

/ Mats

Well yes they are facing different directions but normally they still look realativly smooth. Here is a render of an old bullet mesh I had sitting around. When you look at it, it still has the opposing faces but the transition is smooth.

Attachments

OK, then I don’t know.
Did you add any materials and textures to the object, lamp, or camera? Try deleting those materials and textures?

By selecting two parallel edge loops and clicking ‘Flip Normals’ in the Mesh Tools panel I managed to recreate something like in your render. Probably not what’s bugging you.

/ Mats

Attachments

It had something to do with the material I made. When I deleted the object’s materials the problem dissapeared so I will redo it. I could kick myself for forgeting to try that. Thanks for your help , I might’ve run myself up the wall with that.