Just curious... (modeling)

Your knife cuts must have support edges to work, they can’t just end right in the middle of a face with nothing to attach to. Connect up the last vertex with and edge or vertex and you’ll see that it works. Blender seems to think that a knife cut must split the affected faces in at least two parts or it won’t work.

I have been trying out Voidworld/Nvil a lot today and I must say that I really like some aspects of it. Though when it comes to deforming the mesh it is even worse than trying to use Blender’s deformation modifiers :confused:

I was waiting to actually see if you would outline what issues you were having with knife and see what help I could offer. But seeing as you choose to reply like douche I will just go back to playing with knife on my cubes…don’t worry no edges where harmed in the making of this car the got knifed a lot but the are okay.

I see from your screenshot that you are cutting in ortho mode. Ortho mode is harder for knife to get “right” in all cases because there are cases where it is unclear whether or not an edge is meant to be cut with your cut line (edge is exactly occluded by an edge in front). Do you also have problems with knife in non-ortho mode?

Am I the only one who finds doing any modelling in perspective mode an exercise in futility? Especially for the knife, since you often want to make a cut that’s in the middle of something, perpendicular to something, or parallel to something, and it’s just very hard to judge where that exact point is in perspective. Not to detract from your valiant efforts howardt, but IMO saying it works better in perspective is kind of moot.

It only fails occasionally for me however, with problems centering around the ‘cut through’ option in ortho mode, particularly when a face I want to cut is perpendicular to the camera plane.

@pitibonom: you failed to close the poly. The knife did exactly what it was supposed to in that case.

@howardt I don’t know if by replying to this I am helping someone who was kinda of rude to those of that asked him merely What was wrong with knife?

The issue is with the edges on the right side face which if you try and complete a cut like that won’t work even if you are in perspective mode. I think if you cut into a face you have to split the face into two or more faces any edges that ‘float’ and don’t connect to another edge or vertex of the original face are deleted when you complete the cut.

IIRC This is how bmesh works it doesn’t allow floating edges in a face. I could explain more but I don’t want to help this guy at all.

I used to use Max, then Silo and Max, now Nvil (formerly Voidworld) and Blender.
What Pitibonom says about the knife-tool is absolutely correct, it’s quite unreliable on anything but the simplest cuts.
Nvil is really quite advanced, I love the modeling tools, but mostly I love the freedom in setting it up to work the way I like. The easier it is to customise a program, the better.

Can you maybe show an example of a non-simple cut that it is unreliable on? I rarely run into many issues with knife these days, but I might not be doing as complex cuts.

In past bmesh version (2.63 to 2.65) i would have agreed that the knife was too unreliable, but as i said on complex models i have not got into any trouble through 2.66, howardt did a great job at fixing all that has been reported.

Now if people still find case it does not work and do not report reproducable cases, it’s useless to complain.

I feel the same, i simply never model in perspective mode, modeling something complex with the lack of precision given by the perspective and deformation due to the perspective view is simply insane as you’re putting yourself into much more troubles than necessary, while modelling is just easy in ortho view.
For me the perspective mode is just to preview how things would look into a scene.

@pitibonom: you failed to close the poly. The knife did exactly what it was supposed to in that case.

Yes, that’s exactly why the cut does not work in his screenshot.
If you cut as expected, it works :

http://i.imgur.com/eN7260Z.jpg

Now about knife in 2.49b, try to do the same knife stroke and you’ll see :
http://i.imgur.com/KSO6lwK.jpg
result with “Exact Knife” :
http://i.imgur.com/RdWcEXO.jpg
result with “Multicut Knife” :
http://i.imgur.com/otMAuZS.jpg

The 2.66a knife may not be perfect, but i much prefer it over the pre-bmesh one, only needs i see is to have the possibility to constraint the cut to a defined axis (X/Y/Z/Custom) instead of only depending on the view.

In the support board the problem has been discovered : pitibonom was using SHIFT + K instead of K that certainly none ever use or would have noticed how horribly buggy it is now.
SHIFT+K skip a lot of your cuts on selected faces despite on the manual SHIFT+K is supposed to only cut on selected faces.

To see how bad it is , use the default cube (in ortho mode), press A to select all , press SHIFT+K and try to cut a lot, and see how many of those cuts will never register.

Then after doing that, as JA12 discovered, press SHIFT+K again, but this time press Z (the cut through function) , now SHIFT+K will correctly cut (but once the cut is applied, can still fail badly)

I have no idea if it is a regression recently introduced at some point though as i don’t remember how good or bad SHIFT+K worked (telling how much i just never use it)

Added an entry on the bug tracker with the simple default cube as an example of SHIFT+K failing badly (unlike K that works really great)
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=35002&group_id=9&atid=498

I never realized Shift+K was broken because I only knife squares and the default cube. :rolleyes:

Important to note that it’s SHIFT+K that is mostly broken, K works perfectly in 2.66a (thanks a lot to howardt efforts since several version of Blender)

I didn’t even know Shift+K existed :stuck_out_tongue: