Just curious: who is still suing the old radiosity engine

who is still suing the old radiosity engine?

Anybody?

Some with success? I am just curious how much
it is still used. (Flamingo 1 Render for Rhino3D
uses the same technology and I think Electric Image as well).

Claas

havent got into radiosity…
need some simple tutorials

I mess with it every now and then for fun. I can never get quite what I want, but Its always fun to do(cant fake that awesome shiny chrome that you get with Radiosity) Ill post what Ive used it for if you’re interested…

Sure, often!
Great to use in the game engine, if you know how to control the
vertex amount.
The “wildhouse” demo, here, use it to make terrain shadows:
http://otothecleaner.free.fr/downloads/downloads.html

Same here.

The interface us a little cryptic.
What each does is somehow still not 90 clear to me.
I get very often bad artifacts along wall edges and shadows are sometimes to dark.

But this seems to be sometimes a good solution for a quick shading for animation
like cam circles around a product.

OTO,

ah well wasnt it invented for that :wink: So you use it a lot? I can see why it works great for games. I seem however not that successful with product still illuminations.

“Games” its maybe a big word, I only do small simple demos.
Overall, I like to watch the radiosity engine work…those flashing blue grids…and the light that “pushes” the darkness…quite magic…

Yah it looks very interesting.

I would be more interested to understand it more.
I am not sure if I reach right now the limits of what that engine can produce
or if I am not understanding the system right.

They use it for Vega Strike as well.
http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/wiki/HowTo:Radiosity_baking_in_Blender

LOL just diged out Anthony’s old web site …
http://chronosphere.home.comcast.net/~chronosphere/

Claas

“who is still suing the old radiosity engine?”

At first, I thought I misread it, but then I looked again . . . nice typo :RocknRoll:

I used it today I get am getting better and faster results, other then corners being too bright, and more of an AO affect would be nice. It won’t give me realistic looking image. But neither will AO without rendering for 30 minutes. By the way the new AO is almost 2 times faster.

lol, thats a good typo man and I even read through it before i posted it …

Gat, I am very much looking forward to the new AO specifically because it
also supports now color bleeding.

Indigo rendered images are brilliant, while looking a little metallic but for animation
painful. well VRay like MentaRay can bake the illumination map for animation as long as the object doesnt move itself.

I think the old vertex trick can still be very sueful, ah again, useful.

Claas

I’ve sued it once, but I gave up on it, it’s too resistant and I had to beat it up all the time when a small change had to be made.

Give me yaf(a)ray with photon mapping any day, it’s faster, nicer and happier.

Flamingo is a hybrid of vertex color Radiosity and Raytracing.

It can actually produce quite good results.

It does?? Where did you find that out?

grasshopper

ah look for the new AO threads, I think from broken ?

yep they have color bleeding in it :wink:

here: new AO and faster SSS rendering:

mh curious what happened to the caustic hack.

caustics are a rare and not so often used element in ID renderings.
not much is out of glass :wink:

No colored AO in there. Only the recent adaptive vector blur thingy for AO is added to SVN trunk.

And that caustic hack made things look like someone smashed a monkey against a wall and role over it with a steam machine. I guess that’s what happened to the hack as well :o

There are three different AO methods, and neither one of them has color bleeding?

The original patch added another button to use color bleeding, which is not in SVN (trunk), so I guess it’s not there :slight_smile:

Yeah, the UI isnt the best ever(nor the little pop-up explanations), and I get a fair few artifacts as well, so I dont use it frequently, but every now and then… :slight_smile: