Just some General Artwork.

Just some General Artwork. The sketch is something I have been planning on using for a painting but have not got around to it. Any Critique I would like focused more on the Wolf at the bottom of the image. It is not very good. Like should I keep the wolf in it or take it out? This is like the general outline made to be used for painting and other things. [ATTACH=CONFIG]190928[/ATTACH] Sorry for the poor quality if you need me to I can try rescanning it. I will probably add more. Speaking of which I notice other people there sketches and drawings are quite clear how do you guys do it? I scanned it and it still wasn’t that great. If you scan what settings? If you take a photo what quality camera?

These are just some photos they have meaning but it may not be clear what. Can you guess. One of these images didn’t really have as much meaning I more liked the layout and general look. [ATTACH=CONFIG]190933[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]190934[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]190935[/ATTACH]

I think the most important thing you need to learn is the fundamental principles of composition. Even if you take that Wolf out (which is far too small) you would have to rework the placement of your other animals to create a pleasing layout. The same issue is evident in your photography. The concept/message/subject is missing in these images, it almost feels as though they were off-cuts from more complete compositions. I believe you could learn much from observing other artists and specifically non-digital artists because modern artists are spoilt for choice in terms of media and are slowly losing very useful skills.

wokjow honestly I like the placement of the Tiger eagle and Dragon. I think it works well. That is the thing about art it is so much to the person viewing there are some standards things we get taught like how to keep the eye on the page. Though I will keep that in mind I have not done much 2D art in a while so I may need to refresh up on some techniques and such these were older works.

The wolf was an after thought that is why it is so small and seems out of place which is why I ask if I should remove it? The photo’s were not focused so much on composition as they were on showing a message. Except one of them I just like the way it came out. Still I have not done much Photo Art. Now are you speaking of the older ones like Van Gough and maybe one not as old like Picasso? If so I may need to take a look. Any person in particular I should check out?

Sorry to link to another forum but this tutorial is golden… It explains a lot of the basics of composition.
http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/phil_straub_composition_tutorial
edit; Please note that the linked tutorial is multi-page. The next button is very subtle at the bottom and it shows many different layouts and explanations.

wokjow honestly I like the placement of the Tiger eagle and Dragon. I think it works well. That is the thing about art it is so much to the person viewing there are some standards things we get taught like how to keep the eye on the page. Though I will keep that in mind I have not done much 2D art in a while so I may need to refresh up on some techniques and such these were older works.

The wolf was an after thought that is why it is so small and seems out of place which is why I ask if I should remove it? The photo’s were not focused so much on composition as they were on showing a message. Except one of them I just like the way it came out. Still I have not done much Photo Art. Now are you speaking of the older ones like Van Gough and maybe one not as old like Picasso? If so I may need to take a look. Any person in particular I should check out?

As much as I appreciate creative freedom, if you are going to produce quality work and expect other artists to take you seriously, you need to respect a few basic principles. The example of the rule of thirds which 4tonmantis has posted illustrates this quite well. In your first image the eagle and dragon are slipping off the page, it is as though all emphasis has been placed on the tiger and the rest of the animals have been placed in as an afterthought. The subjects also only seem to consist of heads (unless this is your intention) and have been grouped in an uncomfortable symmetry which can often defeat the arrangement of good composition. If I can be honest I would rework the composition so that the subjects sit comfortably in the space of the page and perhaps that they intertwine/overlap more to give the image more depth.

In your photography, only the black and white image is trying to convey a mood or message which seems to be loss or emptiness since the subject is a tuft of grass or nothing at all. The others simply look like images of architectural features. In regard to your question about artists to look at, I would say any successful artist should have a grasp of the fundamentals or they wouldn’t be successful. Even artists like kandinsky who worked purely in the abstract had a strong grasp of composition through placement and visual hierarchy.

Please understand that I am certainly not trying to be rude to you and wouldn’t have bothered at all if you hadn’t asked for help.

First Thanks 4tonmantis Oh and I did mention I knew about the keeping the eye on the page. Though I don’t know if I took that in mind on this.
Wokjow first I am not offended or think you are rude. Though I know the rule of thirds (though have not gone over it in a few years maybe even ten.) but there is a purpose to the Dragon and other things being a little less. The Image equals me. Each animal represents a part of me or my personality.

The main animal I am most like is the Tiger then the other two eagle and Dragon are second. The wolf actually was an after thought. The images do have meaning. Think what phrase do people use to refer to something seeming better that they can’t have or don’t have. I am sure I could improve on them. Still the meaning is there and can be seen if looked for. (its funny the one I didn’t mean to put any meaning into I just thought it looked cool you said is the most likely to have one) That and many art work have there own meaning to each person.

To my younger Brother Picasso has no meaning. He thinks art is only art if it is real looking. Any way I do apreciate your view on things. I can read what you say or look at the links Thanks again 4tonmantis. Wokjow I will look at the picture before I make it into a painting or anything and see what if I may change things around or what exactly. Though I doubt I will keep the wolf. I agree with you when you said the wolf is to small. If I may it larger and tried to keep all the objects it may seem a little to over crowded. Art is not just something to see but it is something to feel. (tangent) I was doing a Painting Back in High School for my Art AP class.

It looked fine but something kept bugging me. It didn’t feel right. It felt not cluttered but there was something. I found that it was the background I had made a bunch of lines crossing each other and the way I did it made it feel wrong. So I changed it and it felt much better. Art is so much deeper then what most people think. It can go so far beyond a simple painting to a outlet of ones own soul. As I said I will take a look at it and see if things should be changed. Thanks for your input. I quote “more input more input”