Kara - Original Character

Hi all,

Been a long old time since I’ve posted something in the finished projects section!

This is Kara, the main character of a story I’ve been working on for some time. I started this project initially as a way to get to grips with Blender 2.8. On and off, I’ve been working on this for around 6 months or so.

The clothing was done in Marvelous Designer, and then bought into Blender and re-topologised. I also did a little sculpting. All of the texturing was done in Substance Painter. Both of these programs were new to me, so it was fun learning.

I also did some sculpting which was not something I’d dabbled in often. I also had to get to grips with Blenders particle hair, which can be super frustrating at times! Ponytail consists of I believe 11 particle systems.

Shaders are all basic Principled BSDF (hair is Principled Hair) with relevant maps. Skin texture was hand painted in Substance.

When modelling Kara’s face, I used the wonderful references of Faestock: https://www.deviantart.com/faestock/ - a great source of material!

Overall, I’m super happy with the results. I’ve tried character projects before, but they’ve never turned out like this!

Any questions, please ask!

Also on my ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/rRPVw5

[EDIT] I made a few tweaks to the spec/gloss maps after some feedback. I also discovered that my eye texture has somehow been set to ‘Non Color Data’ (Doh!) Also fixed some intersecting geometry.

13 Likes

Whooaa. Good details. I bet you didn’t do that in a few weeks only. How long does such a project take to do? Should be featured, seems to me.

1 Like

on and off - around 6 months. Thanks for the kind words! :slight_smile:

1 Like

She is gorgeous, cannot believe this did not get more comments!

Clothes are fantastic, well done!

Shaun

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words!

From the first project I posted on here back in 2011, I’ve rarely had more than 1 comment in finished projects, so I’m used it it lol

:smiley:

She’s gorgeous. I particularly like her hair and clothes.