keKit for Blender (2.8+)

i use this macro (if anyone interested in…) without separating - selection to border then merge

bpy.ops.object.join(); bpy.ops.object.mode_set(‘EXEC_DEFAULT’, True, mode=‘EDIT’); bpy.ops.mesh.select_all(action=‘SELECT’); bpy.ops.mesh.region_to_loop(); bpy.ops.mesh.remove_doubles(); bpy.ops.object.editmode_toggle()

2 Likes

I like this solution from zebus 3d on blender.stackexchange
selects each mesh island of the object and remove doubles for them

Summary
import bpy, bmesh

raw = []
island = []

bpy.ops.object.mode_set(mode='EDIT')
bpy.ops.mesh.select_mode(type="VERT")

obj = bpy.context.object
me = obj.data
bm = bmesh.from_edit_mesh(me)

for f in bm.faces:
    for v in f.verts:
        if v.index not in raw:
            v.select = True
            bpy.ops.mesh.select_linked()
            for vs in bm.verts:
                if vs.select:
                    island.append(vs.index)
                    raw.append(vs.index)

bpy.ops.mesh.remove_doubles(threshold=0.0001) # here we remove doubles for each mesh island         
            bpy.ops.mesh.select_all(action='DESELECT')
1 Like

It is possible for You to add the option to select inverted faces to your scripts?
We can see face orientation, but can’t select by face orientation.

Maybe just use Mesh - Normals - Recalculate Outside, for selection ?
Or it needed for some other purposes?

Recalculate Outside is just recalculate. Sometimes i wish to only select all inverted faces. Do it by hand In complex object is very time consuming.

Could you make ‘Add duplicate’ for curves in Edit mode part of TT Dupe (and it’s fixed non-linked version)?

Is it possible to select all faces inside selection in your script?
And if not, could you add such feature?

Flipped normal select : Hmm, Maybe. A bit tricky. EDIT: Done. Found an easy way ;D
Fill select: Probably not, “fill region” select (ctrl-shift RMB i think) covers most of these cases for me.

curve dupe: should be doable, adding to list

1 Like

You can check "Smart Select " addon for such tasks.

Hmm… Wanted to try this method, but couldn’t find “fill region”. Both by find(F3) and “ctrl-shift RMB”

1 Like

Oh, got it what you was talking about. It’s Ctrl+Shift LMB in default Blender.
But it’s a little different thing. I believe @Pinhead asked about something like this:

@Pinhead I created a topic regarding advanced selections some time ago. You can check it:

1 Like

you can do it with default blender operations

Summary

but with script to fill selection on hover, would be nice. And not to touch other hidden geometry.
Maybe it already exist somewhere…

It does exist! I answered it above - “Smart select” addon (but paid) :slight_smile:

I’m curious is it macros (like operations in my example) or really smart select with some calculations…

there is an addon called zaloopok and that has ring and loop increasing and decreasing selections…

2 Likes

I guess it’s quite complicated tool. At least it has advanced properties where you can set your hotkeys for almost all the actions:

Also here is Select Loop Inner Region, but for edge loops. Just in case.

Summary

wow, nice solution! perfect for turning into macro D

Machin3tools has a toggle to select faces - bounding edges:

Which is the same as using Select Loop > Inner Region > Select Loop > Bouding Loop

Zaloopok is for Shinking and Expanding Edge Loops/ Rings, not for these kinds of things.

Would love to have this Modo Select modes though, they look neat.

3 Likes