keKit for Blender (2.8+)

try disabling the icons (in add-on prefs) possibly with restart (re-enabling after)?
(yes, the old “tried turning it off and on again?” ;> )

Hi Kjell thanks for adding the Grease Pencil tools! I know you don’t like adding them, but… could you also add the Copyplus commands too and maybe Extract & Edit, E&E Copy, Itemize and Dupitemize? If you don’t want to, I understand. No worries.

I would also like to rotate the 3d cursor with hotkeys by 90 degrees (perhaps with a redo last to input other values?). Can such a thing be view based as well?

And there seems to be something wrong with view align to cursor when mapping a hotkey.

The button seems to work fine.

Align_view_toggle: You can still map the shortcut (with RMB in the viewport panel to make sure you pick the right choice). See, the options were hidden to avoid the redo panel popping up ;>
I can expose that. Redo could be useful as a reminder what op is used, it nothing else.

3d cursor: I did look into aligning the view to the cursor rotations “view planes” (older suggestion), but, my maths-skills are coming up short there, and I grew tired of bashing my head against the desk :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I might be able to rotate the cursor though ;> (probably not viewbased, but local cursor orientation)

GP-ify tools: Maybe. It wont be that difficult - but not a prio atm. making a note of it.

Careful, you might get a worse headacke by doing that :crazy_face:

Local orientation is fine too. Maybe it could work as combo operator too, rotate the cursor and then align the view to the cursor. Might also be confusing, dunno.

Hi. Dont know is it helps, but i found best way to orient view to 3DC by creating tmp plane based on cursor rotation, orient view to selected, and delete this plane… personally i realized it through own macro. Just for information*

1 Like

I have a script that will orient the view to the Z-orientation of the cursor (align view to cursor, recently updated too).
You should not need to use a plane for that at least ;>

2 Likes

Kiellog, just tested last build - working like a charm, but i have a question - is is possible to call ‘orient view to 3DC’ not as toggle, but as simple command (if i needn’t to return to previous view)?

There would need to be some logic added to the script.
there are some issues with wonky orientation:
if you orient the cursor at a random non-axis aligned angle - you’d need several buttons (depending on what the inital state was) to restore the view to a usable state .hence, i made the toggle to avoid this.
ex: (no toggle roll-off, notice the entire view is tilted:)

when 3DC initial orientation doesn’t tilted with side rotation (like marked places on pic) we may easily use blender’s snap to view mode after using ‘snapping to 3DC’ and then performing ‘align view to 3DC’ once again causes wrong (before toggle) orientation…

it is not a good idea and I wont have it ;>
But, I can make a custom tweak to the script, and you can find out yourself. When using cursor mode, it wont save view. Attached (just replace the same file in the kit)
ke_view_align.py (9.3 KB)

ps. i know just using the numpad, say 3-2, to “restore” a perspective view, works fine. but the numpad is so far away…bad ergonomics & such ;<

(I may add an option in the future to disable the toggle, but not a prio.)

1 Like

Any one got a script that mimics Duplicate Hierarchy in Blender?
So basically do a select children and then duplicate. But, and thats the tricky part, also duplicates object not visible in viewport.

I had script once that did this in a different content for applying scale on linked mesh.
So normally if you want to select all linked mesh, Blender does only select the ones visible in viewport. So you might have quite a job to find the not visible once. The script did that. No idea how.

I may have to think about how I would do it for keKit, but,
in the meanwhile, you can use this in the script editor (and turn into a single op addon if you want ;> )

Just select the parent & run:
ke_dupe_hierarchy_hidden.py (187 Bytes)

note: i did not re-hide the children, it is not impossible, i just did not want to get to deep into it atm :wink:

ps. this reminds me, I should get double-click (context select) on object mode objects to select hierarchy…

Ah cool. I wouldn’t actually make it doubeclick. But shift + DClick, because renaming is still important function.

no sweat, H-select would only work in the viewport. Separate context fr the outliner.
(Might need something else for the outliner. )

Ok.
Hm, does Blender has no edge extend along its normals?
I mean in Modo I can extend any edge, like the border etc, and chose normal to have it extend based on the individual normals and then do either an extend or inset (going 90°)

Hm? You set the orientation to normal prior to extrude? Though individually, not sure. might have to combine with using scaling there.

No I mean the edge normal. Individual in Blender means separate edges. I think I saw that in some tool, but never expected that its not in the base package. 3dsmax has that as default for edge extrusion, each edge will go along its normal 90 degress off if you choose upward else forward.

Oh and sorry to ask, but with the update I have forgot to map that. There was some function that when I press 1 it goes into edit mode and vertex mode. Like used to in Modo. I just can’t find that.

Hiya Kjell,
Have you considered adding a select through type functionality to your context select options? Where it toggles X-ray mode while selecting?

Cheers

https://artbykjell.com/wiki.html#direct_mode