Key frames disappear / cancels out/wipes out previous key frame information

Hi.

I try and animate a character (from MakeHuman if that helps), I press “I” and select “LocRot”.

I find sometimes that the previous key frame disappears (as in the key frame marker) or that the info that the previous key frame held disappears (as in if i lift the leg of the character on the 5th key frame and go back to the 1st key frame, I seem to have altered the 1st key frame somehow, because the leg is already lifted on the 1st key frame and I seem to have wiped the info that each key frame after that held).

In case i’m doing something in the wrong order, here’s my “working out”:

1). I go to desired frame.
2). Move the character to desired pose.
3). Then insert the key frame.

EDIT:

THIS is what I do from opening blender to the “error”:

Clearer demonstration (Hopefully):

1). Open Blender
2). Delete cube
3). Enable Rigify
4). Import *.mhx file
5). Make sure i’m on frame 1 and pose character
6). Insert key frame on frame 1 (I > LocRot)
7). Move to frame 5 and pose character
8). Insert key frame on frame 5 (I> LocRot)
9). Got to key frame 1
10). Only the second pose exists.

To be fair, it may be after the 3rd or 4th keyframe that the loss of information (keyframes wiped) happens.

Although I can animate a cube as long as I want (multiple key frames) and it doesn’t happen.

Hope that helps you help me! lol

Please help!

:slight_smile:

The only way a new keyframe can alter things on a previous frame would be if that value had not previously been keyframed.

So say for instance I have this one bone that I’m moving. On frame 1 I give it a location keyframe. On frame 5 I move it up and to the left, then rotate it around Z a bit and give it a LocRot keyframe. I never keyframed its rotation prior to frame 5, so there’s nothing to tell it that I don’t want it rotated on Z. Therefore if I now go back to any previous frame, those frames will all have the same Z rotation as the keyframe on 5, even frame 1 where I entered another key.

Basically, everything will be in the state of its first keyframe until there is another keyframe to change to, even if that keyframe doesn’t happen on frame 1.

If that’s not it, you’re going to have to give us a clearer demonstration of the issue.

Clearer demonstration (Hopefully):

1). Open Blender
2). Delete cube
3). Enable Rigify
4). Import *.mhx file
5). Make sure i’m on frame 1 and pose character
6). Insert key frame on frame 1 (I > LocRot)
7). Move to frame 5 and pose character
8). Insert key frame on frame 5 (I> LocRot)
9). Got to key frame 1
10). Only the second pose exists.

To be fair, it may be after the 3rd or 4th keyframe that the loss of information (keyframes wiped) happens.

Although I can animate a cube as long as I want (multiple key frames) and it doesn’t happen.

Hope that helps you help me! lol

:smiley:

I think by selecting “Whole Character” as the type of Key Frame, I have cured whatever ailed me!

I can now animate with a character just fine.