Keying Sets Cluster F*@#

Can anybody clue me in here? I’m trying to do some simple animation using keying sets. I want a few objects to rotate 90 degrees on it’s X-axis (Keying set 1), Then rotate 90 degrees back on it’s X-axis to its original rotation (Keying set 0).

If I have “Visual Keying,” turned on, can I just position the item(s) with transform properties, or Delta transform properties, add those values to the Keying Set and expect them to rotate to their on-screen visual locations?

What I’m getting is some bizarre addition of values, that are updating all by themselves in the object properties.

What I’d like to do is set the objects to return to their original rotations, no matter what transformed rotations I apply and keyframe. For instance, if I add a Keying Set 2, which has the x-axis rotation set to 45 degrees, I’d like to simply keyframe the “Keying set 0” to return them to their original x-axis rotation value of 0.

Is there a way to do this, or a setting related to global, local etc. transforms that should make this happen?

Thanks for any answers!

Ummmm not completely sure what the problerm your haveing is…

but using Alt G, Alt R, or Alt S will reset any translation, Rotation, or scale (respectively) on your object… you can then hit “I” and pick to key frame these …

not sure why your using key sets for this…

perhaps I’m not understanding what it is your trying to do…

If you animate an object with Automatic Key on, keys will be generated for all three Location/Rotation/Scale.
If you set a Keying Set (i.e. Location) and turn on ‘Use Active Keying Set Only’ as well (the button next right to the Automatic Key button), only the respective keys (i.e. Location) will be set. Helpful if you want to animate the rotation separately from location. Check it out in the dope sheet.

If you animate with Automatic Key off, and you defined a keying set, pressing I doesn’t give you the key type selection menu anymore, but directly generates the respective key.

Usually it is a good idea if one only generates keys for the needed kind of animation. It keeps the animation data small and helps seeing in the dope sheet what is animated when.

For instance, if I add a Keying Set 2, which has the x-axis rotation set to 45 degrees, I’d like to simply keyframe the “Keying set 0” to return them to their original x-axis rotation value of 0.

In the Dope sheet and also the Graph Editor… you can use copy and paste to copy certain selected key frames… such that if you set a key for the ‘0 Rotation’ you want to return to… you can copy and paste it to any frame later in the time line…

Hey thanks for the responses. I think I may be looking to have Keying Sets do something that I should be doing in the Dope Sheet.

I’m doing some tests right now to determine some approaches to modeling and animating. I’m trying to set up an eye rig (with kind of a muppet style), having 2 eyeballs set as objects, and 4 eyelids also as objects. I’m looking for a way to set the eyelids with a few different states: closed (rotation #0), open small (rotation #1), open medium (rotation #2) and open wide (rotation #3). Every time I want to keyframe a character blinking, I’d like to be able to select state “Rotation 0” (I was hoping from the Keying Sets menu) for instance, and keyframe it. Maybe this is not what Keying Sets are really about? I’ll check out using the Dope Sheet in more detail. Thank you!

some good eye tutorials…

anyway those might help out with Rigging and animating eyes…