Keymesh 2 (Curves! Frame Picker!)

damn it. Bake shape keys was exactly what I needed a few days ago. Anyways, Keymesh is amazing. I haven’t used it on large meshes so far, but it saved me a lot of headaches.

1 Like

Hi, does this work for 4.0? :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: Just tried it. It works in 4.0. I noticed that if I reopen the file, the keymesh animation no longer plays. Then I found this in the video:

Can’t find the button on the UI.

Also I am wondering if we can get a sort of interpolate between keyframes like animall addon in future?

I dont think you need to create keys to reset animation anymore. In preferences theres a button Frame Handler. Press it and it should be fixed. In next version I’ll expose that button in sidebar.

Interpolation sounds interesting, with some geonodes magic it might be possible. I’ll keep that idea in mind

1 Like

Thanks a ton :+1:

Neat! Thanks very much for making this.

1 Like

Please let us know if your demonstration at the Blender conference is recorded / shared anywhere online. It would be very interesting to see what you’re working on.

Thanks.

It is on Youtube yeah

I’m gonna finalize my add-ons now so that they include stuff I had for my personal use, so that they match what is described in the talk, and then once I have time I’ll start working on new features. There are some interesting ideas with Geonode tools I had and received at conference also

7 Likes

Great talk - thanks!

It seems on Gumroad it is still Keymesh 2.0.0, but didn’t you release the 2.1.x update back in September already? Just wanted to try the convert Shape Keys animation to Keymesh feature. :wink:
Thanks

Hi there, trying the addon for the first time. Liking it so far, however I have a bit of a show stopper issue - the animated object doesn’t show up in renders.

• after saving and restarting Blender, the object will render, but won’t update the keyframes, start frame in all frames.
  • I go into the addon settings and press ‘Initialise Frame Handler’. Now it updates with keyframes in the viewport but doesn’t appear in renders.

I’m using blender 3.6.5 and rendering with EEVEE. Although I don’t think cycles helped either.

Any solutions would be greatly appreciated. It’s more than possible that I’ve missed something I should be doing or it could be a bug.

EDIT
Actually it’s not that is doesn’t show up, it’s that it doesn’t update the frame when rendering. I only get the first frame (first frame was blank so I removed the blank frame to see what would happen).

SECOND EDIT
Seems it’s the way I’m calling the render from a custom script. Really odd as any other object will render and update for each frame but the Keymesh’d objects won’t. Still I can work round it by using the blender interface to render.

Interesting issue. The way Keymesh works is quite paculiar and has problem working with other addons. For Keymesh to work at all, it needs to register its own handler after and before every frame, I tried workarounds but that is the only way its theoretically possible.

It seems when using rendering with custom scripts handler isn’t triggered when frame is changed, so it always stays the same as first frame. I don’t think there is workaround around that, except if you integrated your script inside Keymesh, or vice versa, but that can be tricky.

Coming days I’ll upload even newer version. I’m working on last scenes for our film and I’m bit swamped right now, but I’ll get back to the addon

1 Like

Cool, thanks. No rush. All the best with finishing the film! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to explain how it’s working when rendering.

Had a real blast using it yesterday afternoon. Looking forward to getting something completed with it.

1 Like

I’m looking forward for the new version (for blender 4.0 probably)

rendering today. I’m animating on 2s and trying to export sprite frames for an FX.

The rendering result seems to be out by a frame if I render it as an animated sequence.

• For example frame 2 in the viewport is frame 3 in the rendered sequence.
  • However if I render as a single frame, frame 2 is what I get in the render.

I’m wondering if this again is an issue with the frame handler?

I can get round this by rendering with a step of 1 and then picking out the correct frames.

I also have it hang Blender occasionally (with no error message) when rendering. I’m still trying to work out what triggers it. I think it’s related to having a keymesh object in a collection that isn’t renderable, but still trying to work it out.

It seems to be on scenes where I have multiple keymesh objects and some are hidden.

I had a file I could render from, but now (after coming back to it) it doesn’t render, just hangs, but if I delete the hidden keymesh objects I can then render again.

I could supply the file to you privately if it’s of help?

EDIT: scratch that won’t render now and hangs Blender just with one object. Close to giving up :frowning:

Upload blend file it would be useful to do some tests anyway

I’ve tried to create a file I can send to you, but it won’t reliably ‘halt’ Blender when rendering. It fails 2 times and then runs fine on the third time of opening for example.

I’ll be doing some more work that requires this approach, so will see if I get something reliable for testing in the future.

I wonder if it’s to do with the frame handler and the other issue I encountered which was frames being off by 1 when rendering with a step of 2. If it’s out of sync, perhaps that could cause issues elsewhere too - just an uninformed question really.

To make files I can reliable render from (and also use my custom render scripts) I converted frames to separate objects and then keyed the scale so I can render reliably with a step of 2. That could perhaps be a little additional functionality to add for those with custom render scripts, if it can’t be fixed in another way?

Could be. But cleaner way would be to animate render & viewport visibility instead of scale.

I suspect it has something to do with frame handler too. It has tendency to fall behind when Blender is going too fast. I’ll do some tests myself

Yeah true, although scale anim and constant keys was easier to do manually I found.