Keypad Inactive

At some point in nearly every editing session, the keyboard views become inactive, ie: the keypresses don’t produce the desired view. Top, side and end views can still be selected from the drop-down menu, and everything else appears to work fine. Quitting the app and reloading doesn’t cure it; only completely re-booting the machine will restore the keypad functions.
Using version 2.34.

What operating system are you using? Different operating systems have some different issues.

Quitting the app and reloading doesn’t cure it; only completely re-booting the machine will restore the keypad functions.

This leads me to suspect some sort of hardware, keyboard or bios problem. Some windows XP users have had problems because of some sticky shift key function. See this thread

https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31998&highlight=sticky+shift+key&sid=46ae334363c8332a4ac941c91e17bbc1

I have never had any of the problems talked about in the above thread but I am not a windows user.

Hope this helps,
GreyBeard

Thanks for the quick reply, Greybeard. I was hoping I was doing something stupid that an experienced user would pick up on right away. Anyway, I’m using Windows 98, an installation that I’ve had going for nearly four years now, and I’m sure it’s picked up some nasty stuff that could cause such a problem. Guess I’ll just keep on keepin’ on and hope that an answer pops up sooner or later.
TFTH.

are you hitting numlock?

You know, Greybeard, that’s exactly what I meant when I said I’d hoped I was doing something stupid that somebody else would catch! Indeed I was hitting numlock: I just tried it out and that’s the culprit alright. Funnily enough, I suspected something like that, but I only tried the CAPS lock key, as I often hit that by mistake and produce unwanted side effects. That’s the one feature of Blender that’ll jump up and bite the unwanted on the behind: nearly every key and key combination does something in the app and if you’re a newby that can cause a lot of grief.
Thanks for your help: Greybeard triumphs again!