Keys - animated film

hey everyone,

i made an animated short film called KEYS, all in Blender 3D EEVEE. i did all the animation, made the music, did the editing, all of that. finished it in May this year. check it out!

all the info on how I made this in blender is here: KEYS PRODUCTION

and it won Best Animation for All American Film Festival which was cool.

let me know what y’all think!! :slight_smile:
~oliver fredericksen

43 Likes

Good job!

I like the blocked animation, The music is good.
The only thing i dont like is the character design.
You had to do a monstrous job to model the environment.
Good job congratulation!

2 Likes

Great job man! And thanks for the extensive breakdown, your an inspiration! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a wonderful story! Thank you so much for sharing :pray:

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

2 Likes

I like it, though I can’t see me buying the record any time soon :wink:

1 Like

This is brilliant. A simple story, yet superbly told. I love the animation style. Was there even a bit of Yellow Submarine influence there for some of the 2D animations?

I’m getting a bit of a Bill Withers/Daft Punk crossover in the music :smiley: Not a bad thing in my book.

1 Like

Nice Steinberger bass.

1 Like

This is superb storytelling, with an excellent command of pacing, editing, and cinematography. The story always makes you want to know more about the characters – to better understand “the story behind the story.” But you, if I may say, brilliantly tell the whole thing, without a single word, through understatement. The audience has to fill in the blanks, which makes it even more powerful. You’re often surprised by what the next scene turns out to be, as the total story is systematically constructed over the entire film, never quite being closed until the very last shot. “When it comes to dramatic moviemaking, that’s about as good as it gets.”

There is excellent use of a combination of 2D and 3D animation at the same time, yes, with a definite Yellow Submarine vibe. The way you’ve used the camera feels very professional. Sometimes it’s small touches – like the montage of sunlight or moonlight on a venetian blind, which also conveys the passage of time.

I hope that you will enter this film in more competitions, where I fully expect it to win more awards. It deserves to.

Of course, it should immediately also be placed in The Gallery.

3 Likes

nice work such a good music playing, and great story!

1 Like

What this guy said!

Again, a brilliant piece.

1 Like

This is lovely,
Well done.

1 Like

Awesome work! nice story, animations, world, music and characters!

1 Like

Whoa, that’s real! It constantly looks like it’s about to fall apart but somehow keeps it together beautifully. Loved the music as well.

1 Like

This looks great! Agree that your camera work is superb. And the sets, lighting, and sound is all cool too!

Curious why did you go for a square frame?

1 Like

It’s pretty amazing that you managed to do this very professional film as you’re first 3D animation, It’s almost like you just went ahead despite any limitations you might have had and produced something that is astonishing, I don’t think I’ve seen anything quite this exiting in 3D for years, clearly Eevee rendering is something you should keep going with because it provides you with the speed to just get cracking. I think the look is fantastic, it’s like real life comic doodles and the thing that most caught my attention was the choppy movements, how’d he do that?

2 Likes

Wow dude, great story, very inspirational.

1 Like