Khalibloo Panel

Thank you, dear Khalibloo! I will try other versions

Update 17 fixes some new bugs with G3 female rigging. I think the bugs were a result of some changes in blenderā€™s collada import.
Also now supports G3 male rigging (finally! :D). Thanks for your patience :slight_smile:

The project and its instruction manual are now on Bitbucket https://bitbucket.org/Khalibloo/khalibloo-panel for easier maintenance.

I would like to import the daz mesh and pose into blender change both and then export back from blender to daz.
I can do that for the mesh only it seems, but how do I export and import back the skeleton (posed in something different than T pose)?

Thanks!

Well, thatā€™s unusual to say the least. I donā€™t even know if itā€™s possible to import a pose in DAZ studio as most of the export formats usually discard pose information, or they simply store it as animation instead.

You could try exporting the pose in bvh format from blender and then try to import it in DAZ. It might work.

Also, if I remember correctly, DAZ has a feature that allows one to refit the skeleton to the figure. I canā€™t quite remember what the operation is called, though. Something like Auto-fit rigging or so. It should be in the edit menu.
You could try that on the posed mesh to see if itā€™s able to match up the skeleton to your imported mesh.

But if the pose you want doesnā€™t change, I think itā€™s best to just do the posing in DAZ studio before you even move the figure to blender in the first place. Then you simply export in collada (which would probably discard the pose information) and also in obj (which would hold the pose look, but lose the rigging). in blender, you import the collada and the obj and then manually pose the collada rig to match up with the obj reference. when youā€™re ready to export back to DAZ, you wouldnā€™t need to export the pose since it already exists in DAZ.

I tried multiple options and you are right at some points, still trying to understand more about daz at the moment.

I modified the body and it looks like the skeleton can reshape (reorient) based on the mesh deformation which is pretty cool I think.
Also it seems that obj format can export me the mesh already posed.
Also managed to export in dae format and I can get two skeletons, one posed as it is in blender but the mesh is not ok. So the solution I think would be to match the mesh from obj with skeleton from dae.

I need to import back because I can pose easier with blender than with dazā€¦ so is not like an unusual request. :slight_smile:

Those export formats can be very tricky to figure out. Great to see youā€™ve it solved :slight_smile:

Thanks so much for these scripts Khalibloo. It feels like there is so many intentional workflow hurdles across all the software I use that its very much appreciated when someone like yourself knocks about twenty over in one fell swoop.:slight_smile:

it was exactly that sort of feeling that led me to develop the scripts in the first place. iā€™m really pleased you find my work useful. thanks for taking the time to say so :slight_smile:

Great tool, wouldnā€™t be able to do what Iā€™m doing without it.

One question, is there any way to separate the morphs that have a negative value such as eyebrow up/down? It only seems to export the positive value morphs (up but no down, even though itā€™s named ā€œeCTRLBrowUp-Downā€ for instance).

Thanks.

hello superlatus. a pleasure to meet u :slight_smile: and thanks

unfortunately, thereā€™s no reliable way to distinguish negative morphs from code. the addon has no idea what the morphs actually look like and itā€™s not always possible to tell if a morph supports negative values just from the naming of the morphs.

however, once a morph is imported into blender, you could easily set its value to a negative value and it should work fine if it supports negative values. so for example, if a morph eCTRLBrowUp-Down is imported into blender, a positive value in the shape key slider might raise the brows and a negative value will then lower the brows. so it still works fine.

the addon doesnā€™t impose any limits to the range of values of morphs. itā€™s up to the user to decide what values to set for their morphs.

give it a try and let me know if it works as you expect.

I probably never wouldā€™ve figured that out even though the min/max thing is right there under the shape keys. Looks like it works as expected once the minimum value is set correctly.

Thanks a lot!

yeah, blenderā€™s interface hides quite a lot of things in plain sight, even for veterans :smiley:

glad i could help. happy holidays :slight_smile:

Just found this thanks to Hivewire. I will be trying this out as soon as possible. Wanted to know if there are plans to add other characters? As well as some of the four legged ones.

hello there :slight_smile: would like to know how the try out goes for you.

the addon currently supports genesis, genesis 2 male/female and genesis 3 male/female. This includes all the genesis-derived characters like the michaels and victorias and so on. With the exception of the ancient characters like V4, all the characters youā€™d find in the DAZ shop are genesis-derived characters and therefore all supported by this addon. are there other characters youā€™d like to see added?

Sorry, Rigify only supports humanoid figures and iā€™m not aware of any other rigging system for blender that supports 4 legged creatures. And to top it off, the bone structures of 4 legged animals are quite varied. For example, the rigging of a horse would be wildly different from the rigging of a cat, a croc, or a turtle. And since all these animals will likely have different topologies, it wouldnā€™t be possible to have one set of code for the 4 legged creatures.

So, for the four legged creatures, youā€™d have to manually rig them or use their default collada/fbx rigs.

Edit:
Figures older than Genesis as well as non-Genesis figures such as V4 and non-humaniods are not supported at this time. Sorry for my earlier misconceptions.

Hi Khalibloo,

Like the many others before me, just wanted to send a quick thanks for your great script. Iā€™m just starting to learn about character animation in Blender and this is going to give me a quick way to get some Genesis 3 figures to play with.

Your last message askedā€¦ ā€œare there other characters youā€™d like to see added?ā€.

I have some (OKā€¦ a lot) of older DAZ3D V4/V4.2 characters I would also like to import, but your script does not like them at allā€¦

The mesh names of the characters are things like blMilWom_v4_67619 and blMilWom_v4b_68498, where I think the number at the end indicate the number of vertices in the model.

Anyway, those are my suggestions to extend the usefulness of your script even further

Thanks again for the scriptā€¦

Hi there,
Iā€™m pleased to see you find the addon useful. And good luck learning character animation in blender!

Iā€™d always assumed that V4 was a genesis figure. Iā€™ve never even heard of V4.2 :smiley: when I started using DAZ Studio, the Genesis platform was already available, so I never bothered about the older figures. Iā€™ll look into these figures and find out if they are compatible with the Rigify rig and also if they are still widely used.

A quick look at the DAZ shop suggests there are quite a number of non-genesis figures out there, so I have to choose my battles carefully.

Iā€™ll let you know if i decide to support the requested figures. Thanks for pointing them out.

Hi again Khalibloo,
If you do decide to support some of the older V4/M4 models and you need someone to do some independant testing prior to a more general releaseā€¦ just get in touch and Iā€™d be happy to help out

Thanks for the offer, Ritchie. Iā€™ll be sure to get in touch should i need a tester. Iā€™ve added V4 to my todo list (or to-buy list, rather). She seems to be quite very popular among the more experienced DAZ users. When i get my hands on the figure, iā€™ll study the rigging and weight mapping and see if it fits well with rigify. I canā€™t give a time frame on that though.

This is a very exciting and useful utilityā€¦ unfortunately I seem to be doing something wrong. :frowning:

I think I must have something wrong in either my import or export settings, because while I got the rigify utility to work a while ago, now I cannot for the life of me repeat that. I can provide the actual files if needed, but the steps I am taking are:

Make stock Genesis3 Felame character in Daz3d
Export as .dae with default settings
Import into Blender with default settings (import nuts, fix leaf bones, find bone chains, and autoconnect all disabled)
Select body mesh
In Khalibloo panel, select ā€œDAZ Genesis 3ā€ and ā€œFemaleā€ and click ā€œRigifyā€
At this point the script crashes, throwing the following errors:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œC:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\khalibloo\genesis_tools.pyā€, line 1481, in execute
metarigFinishingTouches(metarig)
File ā€œC:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\khalibloo\genesis_tools.pyā€, line 98, in metarigFinishingTouches
bpy.context.active_object.data.edit_bones[ā€œheel.02.Lā€].head[2] = 0
KeyError: ā€˜bpy_prop_collection[key]: key ā€œheel.02.Lā€ not foundā€™

I can confirm that the skeleton created by Daz and imported into Blender doesnā€™t have any bone called ā€œheel.02.Lā€, but Iā€™m not sure at which stage the issue lies. Is there some key import or export setting that is assumed but not mentioned in the documentation?

Hello Tokamak,
The ā€œheel.02.Lā€ bone should be in the metarig, not the DAZ rig, I believe.
Thatā€™s definitely a bug, though. I believe Iā€™ve fixed one just like it recently. Please ensure youā€™re using the latest version of the addon. If indeed you are, then let me know.

Iā€™ll try it out on my end and see if I can reproduce the bug with the latest version of the addon. But I might take a while. I changed my workstation a couple of weeks ago and Iā€™m still settling into it. Transferring my files and installing apps and all that. A lot of things are still out of place, so I wonā€™t be able to work as quickly. Sorry about that.