Khalibloo Panel

Ok, so I’ve been tinkering and it seems that the twist bone is in the rigify rig but it’s missing the vertex group. I added following line in the rigify script:

renameVgroups(obj, “rForearmTwist”, “DEF-forearm.02.R”) #g3

and looks like it’s working:

https://i.imgur.com/oXoeIV2.png

Ah I never noticed that. nice catch! I’ll make the adjustment. If you want, you could create a pull request on bitbucket when you fix a bug :wink: Just so your contributions are written in the records.

Update 19 released. Credits to Rikolo :slight_smile:

Note: Blender 2.79 brings some major updates to Rigify. The Genesis tools in this addon WILL NOT work if you update Blender at this moment. The rig is vastly different from what this addon is used to. Users who wish to update Blender should consider it carefully, or keep a backup version of 2.78. Multiple Blender versions can be installed if you download the zip file rather than the “installer”.

From the Release notes:

When using the add-on Rigify, please note:

• Compatibility is broken for this release. There’s no guarantee rigs created in previous Blender versions will work correctly.
  • Rigs created in Blender 2.78 may not be compatible with 2.79.
  • Rigs created in Blender 2.77 may still work.
  • Save your work before attempting upgrading your rigs.

I can’t give a time frame for when the addon will be updated, but I’m working on it. Thanks for your patience as always :slight_smile:

Hi Khalibloo, any news on 2.79 compatibility?

It works for me btw (mostly), I just get bad wrist deformation and the ankle joint is half way down the foot…

Hi there,
On bitbucket, there’s a branch for 2.79 if you’d like to try it out. It currently works with all the genesis figures except g8 male. However, there’s a minor bug that’s preventing me from merging to master yet.
The bug isn’t very noticeable though. It causes the arms and legs to twist a little after being rigified.

I haven’t had enough time recently to investigate the bug closely. So any observations you make regarding the bug, please let me know.

Edit:
Here’s a download link to the 2.79 branch
https://bitbucket.org/Khalibloo/khalibloo-panel/get/blender_2.79.zip

Hi there,
On bitbucket, there’s a branch for 2.79 if you’d like to try it out. It currently works with all the genesis figures except g8 male. However, there’s a minor bug that’s preventing me from merging to master yet.
The bug isn’t very noticeable though. It causes the arms and legs to twist a little after being rigified.

I haven’t had enough time recently to investigate the bug closely. So any observations you make regarding the bug, please let me know.

HA! With that version, I’m getting the full Rigify rig, with face bones!! :smiley:

Haha yeah, it’s a major rework. It brings a lot of additions, but also one major drawback. Older blender versions without the Pitchipoy rig will no longer work. Pitchipoy has been around in blender for quite some time now (if I remember correctly, since 2.74), so unless one has a really old blender version, this shouldn’t be an issue.

Other than that and the little annoying bug I mentioned earlier, it’s mostly ready for release. Once I add Genesis 8 male, of course :smiley: it’s a real hassle naming all those vgroups manually. The face rig vgroups especially. 6 genesis figures done, one to go :slight_smile:

So what! Anyone can download recent versions, even nightly builds (which is what I do) for free, any day!

Oh, you’re a SAINT!

Here is a concise explanation of important improvements to the Pitchipoy rig since Blender 2.78: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asIgadpB43U

With what I see there, I’ll take the current Pitchipoy rig as a de facto standard, well worth some “learning curve”!

QUESTION: Are you aware of any applicable pose library for phonemes?

Good point. But some users might have very valid reasons for sticking with older blender versions. Like with the openGL entry requirement being raised in the near future. Some users will inevitably be stuck on older blender versions for some time. I may have to carry some of the legacy code as a fallback for those blender versions. Maybe I’m over-thinking it, but I’ll have a close look at the release notes around Pitchipoy’s release to know for sure.

haha, thanks :smiley:

Thanks! That’ll come in handy for sure

Yeah, I believe that’s the case. The regular rigify rig has been replaced by the Pitchipoy rig in 2.79. It is in fact the new standard.

No, I haven’t come across any yet.

I should mention, the new face rigging only positions the bones as of yet. The older Genesis figures don’t have any deform weights on their faces, so the user will have to paint the weights (or use blender’s automatic weighting). Genesis 3 and 8 come with deform weights for their faces, but they don’t correspond with the Pitchipoy face rig. After the release of the new Khalibloo Panel, I’ll experiment with mixing the weights to determine if it’s possible to get it to match up with Pitchipoy face rig.

Have fun!

Quick tip: If you get an error trying to bone heat the pitchipoy face rig to your character, put a subd mod on your character mesh (???).

(it works, no idea why).

Curious indeed. Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, the Learning Curve! But I’ll give it a shot. Nose to the grindstone.

In the long run, I will probably jump ship, over to Manuel Bastioni’s Lab;
presently, even though he has a rather impressive expressions-and-phonemes system,
it’s all based on shape keys. He thinks he’ll incorporate face bones some time next year.
Of course, I could now move to G3f, which does have face bones,
but then I would be investing tons of time getting to master yet another proprietary rig,
one that does not transfer to any other base figure.

What YOU have achieved, with your saintly patience and expertise,
is to disseminate a pretty darn good, revised, Blender-friendly and well-supported rig,
one and the same rig, to different base figures, so you really incentivate us to use that!

Assumption:
Suppose I have succeeded in making one character “speak” a sentence, as a succession of poses,
and suppose I have a second character with different proportions but otherwise same rig;
if I then apply that same pose succession to the second character (actually, the second rig),
is it correct to assume that the second character will speak the same sentence?

Thank you :slight_smile:

In most cases, u’ll probably need to make some minor adjustments to the poses for each character. A significant part of the sentence will just work, but some phonemes like “v/f” and “m/b/p” will likely need small adjustments.

But of course, this is not the case when you have fantasy creatures like orcs or werewolves. They’ll likely require their own unique set of poses. The reason is that poses are absolute values, not relative. So they don’t scale with varying character proportions.

The pose library in blender, i feel has been in dire need of improvements for a very long time. There should be a way to blend them or a slider to control their strength. This would greatly reduce the amount of tweaks needed when transferring poses.

Personally, if I wanted reusable speech animations, i’d stick with shape keys. just import the viseme shape keys for each character, then reuse the same animation block for each character.

Good luck!

I’m three quarters through skinning a G3 female to the pitichipoy rig, trying to get it to the point where I can just copy vertex weights onto new characters… I’d like to post it for other people to use but I’m not sure if you’re allowed to do that with daz characters.

Publicly sharing the Genesis mesh (potentially with users who do not use DAZ Studio, and have therefore not agreed to its terms) is not permitted by the DAZ Studio license last I checked.

But you could definitely share the vertex weight data alone. If the weights are for the face rig, you could write a small script that writes the vertex weights to a text file. This txt file could then be shared with anyone. Users would load the txt file with the same script and apply to any Genesis mesh. If it proves to work well for a wide range of G3 characters, we could even integrate it into the Khalibloo panel eventually.

Aha. But any movement that is solely rotation-based should transfer, impeccably, yes?

Well, a slider seems easy to do with Python, yes?
A bit more effort, and you can add s1P1 + s2P2 , no? Perhaps?

Oh, no; not when two characters don’t have the same vertices and vertex indices!
That’s precisely the beauty of having one base armature for several vertex-incompatible characters, isn’t it? :confused:

Not quite. Even rotation limits vary from character to character. For one character, a certain degree of rotation might be fine perhaps because they have bigger eyes than other characters, for example. And with face rigs, movements are rarely rotation based.

If one has to use python for such a thing, one would have to use drivers for each bone in the rig just to ensure that the rig’s pose is updated every frame and also after every little action. This then takes away the ability to manually pose the rig. This is not a trade-off anyone would want to make.

Yes it definitely is. But that process seems to lack the required features in blender at the moment. There’s no way to easily tweak the strengths of the poses that make up the animation as far as I know. One would have to edit the animation for each character.

Then again, that’s also the beauty of using all Genesis figures for all characters. Their vertices will always match up (if same Genesis class). Plus (even if they don’t match up), all the Genesis figures come with all the basic emotions and visemes. So for those at least, it makes sense to use shape keys. After all, even when animating face rigs, a lot of corrective shape keys have to be used in many cases.

Ok; so, on my way to defining vertex groups and weights, I find this bit of productivity enhancement missing:

Having the spanking new Khalibloo/Pitchipoy armature in Pose mode, I want SHIFT G, V
to take me directly to the mesh that is child of said armature, in Weight Paint mode,
with active vertex group = vertex group associated with the active pose bone, or,
if no such vertex group exists, or no such child mesh, then message.

Isn’t it strange that this simple productivity enhancer
was never generated during any of the Blender open movie projects?