Kinda weird thing that happened with my copy of Blender 2.79

(Piotr Bielarz) #1

Hello ther Blender Community. This is my first post here, so I am sorry if it is wrong subforum for topic like that.
Forgive me please also my bad english. This is not my first language and I am still learning it.

Ok, now let me share my latest experience with Blender 2.79.
Up until my recent win 10 reinstallation blender was working flawlessly. Not even single hang up or anything.
But after booting my fresh system I tried to run Blender weird things started to happen. Version 2.8 was working fine, no problems at all. 2.79 though was constantly crashing, everytime I started it. Just a second later. I really had no clue why.
I tried every single solution there was on blender dev forum, and nothing fixed this.
Then just after installation of Unreal Engine everything started to work fine. Blender 2.79 too. No crashes anymore.
Maybe there are some shared packages that need to be installed in system for it to work?
I have no idea why 2.8 worked without them. Are ther some dependancies for 2.79 that are not needed for 2.8?
I am kind of confused here.
Does anyone have some idea what it could be?
Thank you for your attention, and once again sorry for my english, or posting this in the wrong place. :slight_smile:

(yogyog) #2

I’m guessing it might be to do with the drivers for your graphics cards. I’ve unbroken Blender by updating my graphics card drivers before. It could be that Unreal updated them for you. Just a guess.

(Piotr Bielarz) #3

In fact I am unsure what did help. I tried reinstalling everything but graphics card drivers (which was up to date) and then installed UE. Something fixed it, but what?

Microsoft’s plans with Windows 10 don’t exactly result in the most stable outcomes. Are you using the same installation media you used the first time? All too common Windows 10 installs a broken driver or two or maybe even a broken library that slipped by and UE happened to contain a not so broken version it overwrote with.
Most likely somewhere around OpenGL. A lot has changed with 2.8’s openGL, so maybe the problem was tolerated by 2.8 and not so much by 2.79.

(Pixelfox) #5

Also could have been a 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue somewhere. If your prior OS was 32-bit, or if you were missing OpenGL stuff for one or the other, or depending on if you were using 32 vs. 64 bit Blender. Installing UE may have provided some prerequisite that wasn’t installed by default, yeah.

If you see further issues you might try both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the same Blender version and see if that shows any difference.

(Piotr Bielarz) #6

Computer is all the same. The only difference is now it is NOT branded clean windows 10 64 bit installed. Before that it was the one preinstalled on my Lenovo machine. Is there any difference betwean these two versions of windows? I have no idea. On the old one I didn’t have UE installed at all. I had Unity + MS Visual Studio instead.

Unreal Engine automatically installs dependencies if it cannot find it in your system, mainly DirectX and Visual C++ runtime libs. Since you mentioned that you just recently installed Windows 10, my best guess is that Unreal could not find said dependencies and installed it for you. The ones that came with Windows 10 probably was not fully compatible with Blender 2.79 hence the instability.

Edit: See here: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/GettingStarted/RecommendedSpecifications

(janjucdesign) #8

AS a ex tester for windows pre release problems and also having a lenova computer, lenova does its own updates for their windows products! If you have gone and put a fresh copy of Windows 10 64 bit that was not written specifically with the lenova program in it, there would have been pieces of required files missing and the gaming engine has needed those required files.
Therefore the gaming engine has downloaded them where previously the lenova version of windows 10 would have done it.
I had this problem myself when i did the exact same thing. It was not until i put the gaming engine on that fixed the problem. Then later on i had problems with 2.79 again and had to download the lenova driver program to fix it.