Kitbashed Steampunk Butterfly

Hey, this was made a few months ago, but I realized that I never added it here. One of my favorite projects to work on so far! It’s a butterfly smashed together using these mechanical parts and this tree branch.

Thumbnail

85 Likes

Great work! :smiley:

2 Likes

Cool, love Steampunk. We saw a lot of it a few years ago, but it seems to have died out. :sob:

Shaun

1 Like

Wow! It’s really amazing!

1 Like

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Absolutely lovely ! It looks really precious.

1 Like

My my this is wonderful! Love it! the colors are just right! And so shiny!

1 Like

This is super cool! Great work! :+1:

1 Like

Woah that’s insane!!! :open_mouth:

1 Like

It is pretty amazing work, but something about the colors and contrast make it initially hard to see what I’m looking at…and yes, I’m wearing my glasses. I think the separation from the foreground and background is lacking. Or it may be that the bug blends with the branches too much.

2 Likes

Great details! If anybody wants some insect reference photos I produced these virtual dragonflies a few years ago. They are old school and require quicktime 7 to view. https://www.odonatacentral.org/index.php/GalleryAction.movies

1 Like

what i love in CGI is that it makes impossible things beautifull !!!

And for sure this one is !!!
impossible and beautifull !!!

thanks for the eyes candy :slight_smile: and congratz for the feature !

happy blending !

1 Like

looks great !

1 Like

Idea of juxtaposing unnaturally shiny, clean and intricate metal creature with nature works almost too well here. Technically the modelling is done incredibly well on both ends of the spectrum.

I can see that insane amount of work went in to this one. Everything is just so well done from modelling the small details to material shading, lighting compositing the scene and perfecting the reflections. Nice work!

Also bonus points for the background implementation as it’s really difficult to tell where the modelling ends and background begins.

1 Like

Congratulations, when behind the technique there is something more that is called inspiration.

1 Like

Filmic is awesome!
Filmic is cool when you have a bright scene
Filmic is Awesome!
When you render your dream

see what I did there? Because ACES was made for the LEGO Movie… ok this comes 6 years too late but it just came to my mind because of this butterfly image.

1 Like

Hey, that’s cool! Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

Can’t remember where I told you before, but great work, again! One of my favorite kitbashings also. Great work and solid tutorial.

1 Like

Thanks again then!

@ChameleonScales Very true - it would have been totally impossible to render those colors without it!

@Xard Thank you! Getting the DOF size and lighting angle right and placing some branches receding into the background made a huge difference in how it all tied together.

Getting the DOF size and lighting angle right and placing some branches receding into the background made a huge difference in how it all tied together.

And it worked out amazingly well.

Actually this is one topic I haven’t found that much discussion about: It’s quite usual that if you model something very complex and get it done it’s tempting to use a HDRi for lighting and frame the model against neutral gradient with slight shadow and call it done.

With good background you can do so much more… I could argue that it’s the point when a technical modelling achievement turns into art.

1 Like