Kitchen from beginner

Hey all,

at first I want to introduce myself: I have always been interested in software like blender, but the older versions really were too complicated for me. About 3 weeks ago I found out, that there is a new version of blender, that is easier for beginners to learn. My first project was a bottle stand (cycles):

Now I´m working on my second project. A friend of mine is starting his house construction next month and I thought it was a good surprise to give him a nice render from his future kitchen. This is what I got, so far:

I´m not really happy with the result, what do you think could improve this render. Impressed by all the nice eevee renders I wanted to render with eevee, but the result didn´t look really realistic.

Don´t know what I did wrong :man_shrugging: Could you help making it a little more realistic?

Critique an tipps appreciated!

Thank you very much!!!

Hey there,

for a start these are already great renders!

The cycles render looks quite good, maybe you could use an hdri image with a sun, to get some more interesting lighting.

It’s always harder to render a scene like this in eevee. Did you bake indirect lighting? if not, have a look at this (or other) tuorials:

Also, don’t forget to turn on Ambient Occlusion, Soft Shadows and Screen Space Reflections in the scene options.

Thank you for your answer! I actually used an HDRI, but perhaps I’ll try another one. AO, Soft Shadows and SSR are already on, but I didn’t bake indirect lighting. When I am back at my PC I’ll watch the video and try that.
Of course you’ll get a pic of the result.

Thanks so far!

Well, today I had the time to try out your suggestion with baking indirect lighting. The result is in deed a little bit better in my opinion, but the floor looks too rough now. That shouldn´t be too hard to solve. Here is the eevee render with exactly the same settings as before + baking indirect lighting:

Then I changed the HDRI, as you suggested and added a towel to the sink (still have to work on that).

Finally I changed the perspective.

And here are the cycles renders for comparison.

I don´t really like the reflections on the faucet and the lamp shades of the eevee pic. Overall I´m quite happy with what I got. But it´s still so far from photorealistic. Do you have any more suggestions for getting more realistic eevee renders?

Thanks a lot!

Hm,

the lighting still looks kindy off in eevee, but I also can’t say why. :smiley: But I also find it hard to get lighting good in eevee in such interior scenes. The cycles looks fine again. :slight_smile:

For the reflections in eevee you could use reflection probes I guess:

Could you share the blend file of the scene?

Thank you again, I´m really happy to get so much help. Eevee is really a little complicated when it comes to lighting. Cycles always look good, even in default settings.

These tutorials really are great, I think I´ll have to watch all of his vids.

The file is too large for direct upload, you´ll get a link tomorrow.

Today I could mess around with Reflection Cubemaps and Reflection Planes. Looks quite good. Just have to adjust it a little more, then you´ll get another render.

Here is the link to my file:
FILE DELETED

Here are my recent renders

I think it looks much better now. What do you think. Any more ideas for improvement? Else I´d finish this project for now.

Thanks a lot!