Knife Self Intersect issues

So I’ve been trying to delete interior faces of a bounce spline mesh and after doing some test found that the knife intersect was perfect. Unfortunately on a more complex spline it doesn’t seem to be working as well, or at all really. I’m not sure if I’m doing something wrong or if it just isn’t possible. Or if theres an easier more efficient way to delete interior faces.

I’ve tried both Cut and Merge on the knife settings, both yield similar results. It looks like it’s only cutting on one of the intersecting faces. Example issue on one of the faces-

The issue-

I’m in 2.82

To help better show the goal, I have this big tangled mesh that goes inside itself and want to only have the visible faces. So cut and merge everywhere it intersects and delete the interior faces that you can’t see. Any help would be much appreciated.

I tried it with a simplier mesh and this works for me:

• use Face / Intersect (Knife)
  • merge by distance
  • select / all by trait / interior

Maybe your mesh is to complex and something fails. You could try hiding all outer faces, with circle select / hide and then delete the rest. Or just copy the selected outer faces.

Yup did the same before I did this bigger one thinking I was all set, only to be disappointed once I finished the big one ):

Thinking you’re right and its just too complex. I’ve tried that method before but only after I do the first method with the knife tool which leaves me with days of work, so gonna try it without any tricks and see how that fairs.

Thanks for the help!

Forgot I came across this boolean method. Was in 2.7x when the Curve booleans were around and the guy just put a cube over the whole mesh, not sure if he was after the same thing I am but wondering if theres something there. Like cut out my shape from inside a cube, delete the outer 6 sides, and be left with just flipping the normals of whats left. Tried it in 2.78 with no luck, still bools the interior faces for some reason but if anyone thinks theres a way to make that work I’m all ears!