Knife tool cuts holes on other side of mesh

I’m trying to connect some disconnected edge loops. The knife tool either does not work, or when it does it cuts holes on the other side of the mesh.

I started with a boolean cut to have a specific indent into my bottle. Now I’m trying to use the knife tool to connect vertices, but they either don’t connect, or they cut the other side of the bottle out.

I’m pretty sure it has to do with doubles from the boolean, but when I go to merge them, it compromises the specific shape I cut into the bottle, so I stopped attempting that.

What would be the best course of action? I’m totally stumped and can’t find any video with a solution.

Here is the blend file

You gotta flip your normals- select everything, press Shift N, or Mesh > Normals > Flip

1 Like

The problem still persists even after flipping the normals

Hm. Have you changed the file since you uploaded it? Because I have no problem with it at all after recalculating outside normals (I don’t usually flip unless there are just a couple bad faces because it all too easily flips something that was fine the other way; I select all and let Blender do the work).

I tend to do straight-forward knife cuts (especially when completing a loop cut) in ortho modes; here I used front ortho. Make sure cut-through is turned off (c).

If merging by distance screws up, it means your distance is too large; make it smaller. But my merge didn’t find anything.

1 Like

I never knew that cut through was an option lol. Just turned that off and it worked. Thank you for the help!

The other thing that was messing me up was adding another line in the middle with the loop tool to fill it.

1 Like

Those options appear on the Status Bar – which is just out of my focus; I don’t know how many weeks I used Blender without even noticing there is always contextual information down there. It can even be scrolled (Knife has a lot of options)! I also read the manual for “fun” at times, even though most things don’t stick when I don’t have a specific context, I always learn something I didn’t know.

1 Like